PDA

View Full Version : Blown Head Gaskets???

livn2play
01-12-2006, 12:39
Seeking help on why I am blowing water into my overflow tank for the radiator, It is completely filling it up and even blew the cap off the overflow. I am thinking maybe a blown headgasket, but I don't seem to have any water in the oil and as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to be coming out the exahaust. I don't think it is loosing water it is just pressuring it into the overflow. Any help would be great.

5.7L oldsdiesel
01-12-2006, 13:25
I'd lean towards changing both headgaskets.Change both sides when doing the repair.Have the heads checked for warpage and for cracks.Use new head bolts and put permatex ultra black silicone on the heat bolt threads.Thats what i use and have no problems using that kind of sealer.

POINTERMAN
01-12-2006, 13:28
Check you radiator cap gasket ,same thing happened to me, had a tore gasket in the cap .Once I changed it things were good

Old6.2
01-13-2006, 08:14
I once had a small split at the top of the hose in the overflow tank. This would allow coolant to enter the tank but suck air back during cool down. Always check the easy solutions first!!

livn2play
01-13-2006, 11:27
After further inspection, it looks like it is bubbling back into the overflow while the engine is running, when you first start the engine it is blowing white smoke out the passenger side tailpipe for a little while. My conclusion is that I blew out the gasket by the piston which is pressurizing the overflow and when it is shut off it is allowing water into the cylinder which creates the white smoke when I first start it. Any opinions on my diagnosis??

wthif
01-13-2006, 18:44
Doubt you could start it with much more than condensation in the cylinders. What does the exhaust smell like coolant or unburned fuel?

Side note it isn't that hard to replace the head gaskets just labor intensive. Also it is nice to have a helper stand by while you take the heads off; so you can hand the heads to someone they're heavy. I did it with engine in truck and hood on truck. Though if I were to do it again I would take the hood off.