PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 in a Land Rover

GaryB
01-10-2005, 21:15
Anyone out there placed a 6.2 NA into a 110 CSW Land Rover - looking for tips and pitfalls if any. I have a 700r box to be mated to the Land Rover transfer case.

Thanks
GaryB

RustyK5
01-11-2005, 04:34
I have read at various web sites that this has been done. Would love to see pics if you do it!

Dieselboy
01-11-2005, 06:23
I know a guy in California that dropped a 6.5 with a banks in his D110.
http://www.oliverdiesel.com/friends/sakd110.htm

4x4Dreamer
01-12-2005, 11:32
how about in a Jeep Cherokee? I think it would be cool to have that big motor getting awesome mileage in that litte truck. Don't they drop 350's in those all the time?

82beast
01-12-2005, 15:57
Building a custom anything(car, boat, house,ect) takes two basic things time and money. It all depends on what you want to spend.

Dieselboy
01-12-2005, 17:28
Originally posted by 82beast:
Building a custom anything(car, boat, house,ect) takes two basic things time and money. It all depends on what you want to spend. And now, an reading from the book of Swanger,

Speed and money are directly related. How fast do you want to go?

[ 01-12-2005, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Dieselboy ]

C.K. Piquup
01-16-2005, 08:49
I`m going to "put" a 6.5TD in a`72 K/20 with a 4L80E and either adapt to the NP205 or use an NP241.I`ll be a K/30 since I have M1008 axles to "slide" under it.It`s a ways off,patience,but will be done.I want to "build" the motor first,18:1 etc.Also will restore first.Just found a hi-hump-a/c-clearance light cab to use(gotta have those cab lights).

GaryB
01-17-2005, 21:20
Thanks for teh replies and teh link to the 6.5 drop in - am hoping to start the work as soon as temperatures drop below 35* Cel here in South Africa - will post some pics and details as I go along.

AustralianLad
01-17-2005, 23:54
Garyb wrote:

Anyone out there placed a 6.2 NA into a 110 CSW Land Rover - looking for tips and pitfalls if any. I have a 700r box to be mated to the Land Rover transfer case.
Hi gary. I have put a 6.2 in my Range rover and i am using the original ZF auto. Marks 4WD in Australia make an adaptor for a T700 to bolt in front of the LT230. I beleive that Advance Adaptors in USA are angents for them. I am contemplating a Duramax for my Land rover 130 this year. Good luck with yours.

Garry.

AustralianLad
01-18-2005, 00:03
GaryB,
Forgot to mention that watch your gearing in the transfer case. My Range Rover has 1.22 Gears in high range and with the 27% overdrive it screams its head off (2500rpm) at 110km/h. Not good for economy.If only doing off road work you will get awqay with it. Link for marks 4WD is below. web page (http://www.marks4wd.com) Hope the link works???

Garry

GaryB
01-20-2005, 04:03
Garry

Thanks for the info. The gearing was one of the reasons to go with the 700R Auto box with lockup in 2,3 and 4th. Also, if I need to I'll put the Rangie/Disco transfer box on, and I am also running 33x12.5x15 BFG Muds which should help somewhat - will let you know how it goes. Do you have any pics, or a website with your conversion on it. Visit www.landyonline.co.za (http://www.landyonline.co.za) and have a look under conervesions at CLydesdale.

Cheers
Gary

TimK
01-20-2005, 09:23
Gary,

This sounds like an interesting project. I had been planning on doing the same conversion for my 1990 RR until I loaned the car to my mother. With the limited number of 110's brought into the US, there hasn't been a lot of info floating around state side on this type of conversion. I did a lot of research on this for my RR before the project got placed on hold. Marks4x4 was definitely a resource for some of the adapters. There always seems to be an add in one of the LR magazines for a Company called Samurai that sell 6.2L conversions and it was also featured once or twice in a couple of magazine articles but I have received emails from some that tell me the quality of conversion kits are suspect.

Keep in mind the 6.2L is a lot bigger motor in weight and displacement compared to what comes with a Landy. Having enough radiator for proper cooling under heavy loads could be an issue.

There used to be a company down in Texas called Yeti Enterprises that were installing 6.2L into Defender 90's and a 110's. I don't know if they are still around or not. I was talking with the folks at Pennsiluar Diesel about installing a 6.2L about 5 years ago in my RR when they told they sold a bunch of engines to this guy in Texas. I later saw one of his conversions at the All British Field Meet held here in Portland OR. He did a neat job. If I remember correctly he used the NV4500 transmission and coupled that to the Rover T-case. Having full-time 4WD was important in splitting the torque so as not to twist the axle shafts.

Another conversion that I have seen in a couple of different Rovers is the Cummins 4BT in a Series 2A. This was also coupled to a NV4500. The T-Case was a New Process divorced unit, I don't remember the number. The Series axles were upgraded to Ford 1-ton free floating axles that were cut down to fit the car's narrow body width. I have rode in the car several times and it had plenty of horse power and torqure. He also get 35 MPG. I might even have some photos of that one lying around I could send you.

Good luck and let us know how it comes along.

TimK

GaryB
01-20-2005, 21:23
Tim

Would be great if you do have some pictures, will also search for Yeti on the net. As far as the Rangie goes, have a look at the site two posts above - quite detailed and very good I think. I have driven the vehicle - absolutely AWESOME.

The engine weight hopefully will be takne care of by OME heavy duty springs and spacers - possibly about 45mm or so I reckon. Cooling is also of concern especially here where I want to use the vehicle - what are the dimensions of the radiators that come out in the Hummers - do you know - core height, width and depth??

All the best
Gary

AustralianLad
01-21-2005, 22:54
GaryB,
The only photos i have on the web of the Rangie are at an Australian web site catering for Landrover owners. To access the site you have to join but it is free and i can highly recommend it. The link is here. Australian Landrover Owners Online (http://www.aulro.com) If you join let me know your user name on it and i will say hi.Heaps of info/Workshop manual downloads and good forums. There is a guy that has a 6.2 in his 110 that may be able to give you more info. I dont know what gearbox combination he is running.

Cheers Gaz

TimK
01-22-2005, 18:42
Gary,

Send me your email and I will mail you some pictures of a Cummins 4Bt in a Series Land Rover. I would post them here but I never learned how. You can reach me at Kuhlrover@aol.com

TimK

Ratau
01-23-2005, 23:11
Gary

I did not spoke to you this year so all the best for 2005. I spoke to Brain at landionline, no DP members contacted me so if you know off anybody who owns a GM diesel please let me get their detail so that we could organize a get together.

TimK

I would love to see the pictures off the 4Bt in the landi.
My email address: daniet at ntp dot necsa dot co dot za

Danie

TimK
01-24-2005, 20:18
Danie,

I emailed the Rover Pictures to you.

TimK

GaryB
01-24-2005, 21:23
Thanks Tim and Gaz

Will get some pics going soon.

All the best
Gary

GaryB
01-24-2005, 21:39
Garry

Got onto the aulro but struggled to find links to the 110 6.2 pics - any tips??

Cheers
Gary

AustralianLad
01-26-2005, 21:48
Hi Gary,
The only chev photos on AULRO are of my Range rover i think. I will send the guy a PM and see if he can add some photos.

Cheers Gaz.

humding
01-30-2005, 14:30
I have been running a 6.2 in a LR 110 for the past 4 1/2 years. However it has now come to an untimely end as three of the main bearing webs in the block are cracked.I had been getting vibrations above about 2250 RPM for the last week and eventually found the problem on Saturday morning. Anyhow setup I was running was as follows:
R380 gearbox coupled to LT230 transfer box (1.003:1 ratio). Standard 3.54:1 diffs. Rad was from a turbo diesel 110 (the biggest standard rad LR made). Cooling was OK and would only start moving up which towing going up hill.
Exhaust was twin 2.5" with straight through silencers. I will try to get some photos sorted out at some stage but my main proirity is to sort out another engine at the moment, so any views as to what spec to use would be gratefully accepted. Biggest problem is that I am located in Ireland and probably looking at sourcing a fully recon unit from the US.
I see somebody mentioned Samurai in England. Do not go near them as I have seen at first hand the components they rebuild engines with, which I personally would have thrown in the skip. Can anybody advise on reputible suppliers?

GaryB
01-30-2005, 21:10
Humding

Good to hear that it is do-able. There is a similar firm here in SA as far as "rebuilds" go, and even living on the opposite side of the country from them, it is still too close!
As far as getting a fully recond unit from the States is concerned, speak to Jamie Avent at the Diesel Depot, 478-552-9510, or email at avasalv@mylink.net
He was very helpful when I was trying to source a motor from here, as apposed to the enclosed reply I got from Nick at US dieselparts: "Gary,
Thank you for the inquiry. We do not ship overseas - sorry. When I tried to arrange something further, was told "Gary,
Thank you for the inquiry. We cannot help you further - sorry."

SO, GIVE JAMIE AN EMAIL - I'm sure he'd be more than willing to help.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
GaryB

humding
02-02-2005, 15:51
Thanks GaryB,
I have got in contact with Jamie and things are looking good. Also have heard good reports elsewhere about him