PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L Injectors

TanM998
02-28-2004, 07:36
I noticed yesterday after starting my truck for the first time in a month that I have an injector leaking on the no 6 cylinder. I tightend up the line but its still leaking pretty good. How easy is it to rebuild an injector? Or should I just buy a remanned one?

Also, is the recomendation to redo all at once? or if I do one thats fine?

Scott
'85 Tan M998
(6.2L NA Diesel)

Coketruck
02-28-2004, 10:13
Your injector leaks from the line?
It is rare...
Are you sure it not leaks from the return hose?
Or from the return cap,being the sixt cilinder injector...

TanM998
02-28-2004, 11:12
its leaking from the middle of the injector... I thought it was a little odd as well. (at least thats where its dripping from)

While the engine was running, I cracked it open and then tightened it down again and it was still leaking... unless the line itself has lost its seal... i.e. the metal is worn? I have had this happen before on the metal line at the tank...

Scott
'85 Tan m998

NH2112
02-28-2004, 13:21
I had that happen before and all I did was remove the injector, clamp the bottom half in a vise, and use a pair of channellocks to remove the upper (triangular) half of the injector body. Everything got a good cleaning with carb cleaner, the threads were cleaned with a toothbrush, and I tightened the 2 halves "till it felt tight enough." I didn't have any more problems with it afterward.

rhill2901
03-01-2004, 12:28
I had a similar problem on a set of new bosch injectors that I had put on and when I had to loosen the injector line the upper body of the injector turned with the line! I removed the injector and tightened the two pieces and put it back in without any problems.

arveetek
03-01-2004, 13:11
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. I tried doing as Phil suggested, but I couldn't get the two halves of the injector to budge from each other. I replaced the injector. $24.95 for a reman injector from my local diesel shop.

Now I have another injector leaking, and I haven't pulled the return lines yet to check them, but it looks like it's leaking in the same place.

The return lines do have a tendency to harden and begin leaking, so make sure that's not the problem before replacing the injector.

Casey