PDA

View Full Version : Cetane value

Ratau
10-28-2003, 05:53
Britannic
You asked me what the cetane value of diesel in South Africa is. SA Buro of Standards spec: 48 with a minimum of 45; Sulfur .05% Total Eco & Sasol Turbo diesel 0.3%. You asked me what improvement I made: Open type inlet manifold (no inner centre like the stock one)and dual 2.5"exhaust pipes with free flow mufflers .

britannic
10-28-2003, 15:18
Where's your timing set at?

Ratau
10-28-2003, 23:38
Britannic
The marks on the pump and timing cover is aligned. I checked the timing chain when I replaced the oil seal on the crank, the slack on the timing chain is 0.5"

britannic
10-29-2003, 07:22
Since you live so high up, the dynamic timing will likely be retarded if there isn't a turbo to maintain combustion burn speed.

To see if your engine will benefit from advancing the IP timing, try jumpering the HPCA terminal (green wire at front of IP) when the engine is hot and see if the black smoke clears up and you get more power. Doing this will give about 6* of IP timing advance, but don't leave the IP jumpered as it drops IP housing pressure and causes other dynamic changes to the operating characteristics.

Try advancing your pump slightly by rotating it about a 1/16" toward the driver's side (assuming the driver sits on the left of the vehicle :D ). This is about 3* advance, however if you have a timing meter, initially set it at TDC @ 1400rpm and then advance from there if necessary.

Ratau
10-30-2003, 00:25
I do sprint tests on a 18

britannic
10-30-2003, 06:56
YMMV, but if that engine is a 6.2L you're running, then the EGTs are in the danger zone. Anything above 1100F will begin damaging the engine if sustained (melted/cracked pistons, melted glow plugs, burnt valves, warped heads - you get the picture!). For example Banks Engineering recommend 1050F max with 1100F being used only very briefly.

Do not add fuel, but instead, get a timing meter or go to a shop to find out where the timing really is. You may need to turn the fuel down a 1/4 turn if you can't advance the timing any more.

To get more air in to the engine, you may want to consider adding a turbo with a bigger exhaust system to bring the temps down.