PDA

View Full Version : Blower motor

coxfmly
01-10-2005, 19:48
Hello, The blower on my 84 Suburban has very low output. Has anyone tried to install a moter that blows harder? I have had the system looked at and it is all connectd properly. The air blows very cold but not very hard.
The switch has 4 positions and they all work.
The lowest setting can barely be felt.
Any ideas, Thanks Paul

britannic
01-10-2005, 20:14
Did you check the air intake and vents/system isn't clogged/blocked etc? Are any of the convoluted hoses collapsed in the system?

coxfmly
01-11-2005, 15:21
I have removed the dash and checked the entire system. All hoses were connected and secured.
I have made sure all of the trash has been removed from the vent system.
It sounds like it is really pushing but the volume it way to low.
I would love to be able to install a "faster" motor or one that has more volume but I'm not sure how to proceed with the "upgrade".
Thanks

coxfmly
01-11-2005, 15:27
Britannic, On your profile is says that you have a 1985 Chevy with a 5.9L Cummins.
Isn't this a Dodge motor? Would you mind telling me about it or is their a site that would?
Thanks again

jackrabbit
01-18-2005, 13:34
I had a similar problem on my 85 chevy pickup. The blower motor had been replaced. A couple of years later the new motor started turning very slow and eventually stopped. The ground wire on the motor turned out to be that problem. The mechanic who installed it had not scraped away enough of the paint on the new motor and a slight rust had started isolating the ground.

It was quite a job to see this since I had to remove the inner fender so that the rubber shroud that was over the blower motor could be removed.

Another friend had an issue with his in that the blower was turning at normal speed but little to no air was coming out of the vents. This vehicle had sat in cold weather a couple of years. The anti-freeze apparently broke down in the heater core and it had swelled the heater core fins almost shut without bursting. The radiator and engine were fine.

The heater core fins may just be blocked with dirt. Its kind of a job to take all that plastic off to check, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look.

diesel65
01-18-2005, 16:12
Take the blower resistor out and look in the hole with a flashlight and see if the a/c evaporator is clogged with debris.
The resistor is located on the blower box under the hood.
The blower motor could be tired.
The other possiblity is that one of the doors is not closing properly and the air is being distributed to more than one direction.
I have had problems with a broken actuator anchor, it is made of plastic and they break. To check and see if it is broken you need to remove the glove box and the on the left side you will see a duct that is held with four screws, after you get that out you will see a door and the plastic anchor point for the actuator.

coxfmly
01-20-2005, 20:06
I will take a look this weekend and let you know if I find anything.
Thanks for the help.