PDA

View Full Version : Custom header thoughts...

poolmike
01-07-2006, 11:50
So I went and talked to a local race car builder/metal fabricator today about making a spacer for the 6.5 turbo manifold so it will fit with my stock 6.2 injector set. He say rather than a spacer he can whip up a set of shorty headers for around $250/pair with a t-3 or t-4 flange. The possibility of twin turbo comes to mind and I'm just curious if anyone has input on what turbo(s) to run?

doncannon
01-07-2006, 13:57
poolmike: checkout the twin turbo project. I think it was oliver that did it if memory serves me right. what you could do is a search on twin turbo and that may lead you in the right direction.
hope this helps,
Don

poolmike
01-07-2006, 15:14
I did a search and found some pictures but not much info. It looks really cool. I might attempt something on that order, I just need to figure what turbos he is using and if the thing is running and how well.

doncannon
01-27-2006, 02:39
Hello all,

poolmike: I know when summit and jegs sell the better headers they have 3/8 flange (where it bolts to the heads) and 1 3/4 dia pipes being the better choices on a small block chev. what sizes is he going to build for you?

thanks,
Don

Peter J. Bierman
01-27-2006, 13:42
Hi there,

The TTD was/is my project!
Don't you hate it when some else gets your credits :D

Anyway, I made my own headers from scratch to accomodate the two Garrett M27 turbo's.
But there is more then just the headers and turbo's, you have to find a way to connect your exhaust pipe(s), get double intercoolers, more fuel and sufficient cooling.
Not to speak of two oil feed and return lines, double airfilters etc, etc.

The complete story is in the reprintbook 2003, or you could drop me a line and I'll mail it to you.
pjbierman@wanadoo.nl

Just read it and think it over before you spent money on a project like this.
:rolleyes:
Peter

CleviteKid
02-01-2006, 19:16
Listen to the voice of experience (Peter's).

Dr. Lee :cool: :cool:

Peter J. Bierman
02-02-2006, 14:13
Thanks, Doc

It's always nice to be recognized :D :D

Peter

PS, do you want to try to get to another Eurorendezvous?
People start to ask questions about the 2006 edition.

poolmike
02-03-2006, 10:17
Originally posted by Peter J. Bierman:
Hi there,

The TTD was/is my project!
Don't you hate it when some else gets your credits :D

Anyway, I made my own headers from scratch to accomodate the two Garrett M27 turbo's.
But there is more then just the headers and turbo's, you have to find a way to connect your exhaust pipe(s), get double intercoolers, more fuel and sufficient cooling.
Not to speak of two oil feed and return lines, double airfilters etc, etc.

The complete story is in the reprintbook 2003, or you could drop me a line and I'll mail it to you.
pjbierman@wanadoo.nl

Just read it and think it over before you spent money on a project like this.
:rolleyes:
Peter Thanks Peter.

Right now twin twin turbos are just a thought. I won't know for sure if it's possible until the engine is sitting between the frame rails. The dual intercooler situation might stop that process quickly as space is an issue :( I wish I had a large mid 80's Chevy engine bay to work with.

The header flanges will be cut from 3/8" stainless, as recommended by the fabricator.

The project should start next week. Hopefully it will run sometime late spring/early summer.

Peter J. Bierman
02-04-2006, 15:28
Even in mid 80's truck like mine space is an isue, to find room for all the tubing I had to relocate lots of stuff like the battaries and the coolant overflow tank.
I had to bring the turbo's above the valve covers to accomodate the twin set up.

But in the end is worth the effort :D :D

Peter