PDA

View Full Version : 700R swap questions

gmc64sub
02-26-2004, 20:12
Hello,
I'm the guy who is swapping a 6.2L J engine into a 1964 Suburban. I bought a Bowtie 700R and converter as well. I'm kinda puzzling over a few swap details:
1. Do I even need the Vacuum Reg. Valve or vacuum pump(other than to spin the oil pump)anymore?
2. Do I need the throttle position switch? My shop manual shows how to adjust it for the LL4 and 700R4, but in the electrical schematic (same manual), it says the TPS is not used with LL4.
3. I bought a universal TV cable with my 700R, but I guess I don't have a bracket to attach it to near the injector linkage. Is this backet available somewhere? I've never seen a 6.2L with 700R before, so I don't even know what I am looking for.
Thanks, Richard :cool:

britannic
02-26-2004, 22:02
You don't need to use vacuum or the TPS for your 700R4. However, you do need the bracket and throttle linkage to hook up to your TV cable. Also, the wiring and brake switch to enable your tCC lock up.

I'm not at my usual machine tonight, but tomorrow, I'll find my parts order that has the part #s for you.

britannic
03-01-2004, 14:56
Here are the part numbers - www.gmpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com) has them:

25515599 trans detent control cable
14038643 t/v control cable support
14038642 transmission t/v rod

gmc64sub
03-01-2004, 18:47
Thanks Britannic,
I'll check it out.

Richard

rhill2901
03-02-2004, 09:39
If the TPS is removed, what controls TCC lockup? Doesn't 12 volts come through the brake switch to the TPS to the tranny? I thought the TPS prevents lockup if the throttle is at idle (and coast) or WOT.

Once you release the brake, and your speed is above 40, the TCC will immediately lock. If you had the TPS, then before you even pressed the brake, your TCC will unlock, and remain unlocked until you applied pressure to the accelerator again.

Please let me here your thoughts...

britannic
03-02-2004, 11:00
There are a few ways to control lock up, some models may have even used a TPS. The most common way is using the transmission governor, TV cable position and 4th gear pressure switch (or switches in the earlier 700R4s), OEM transmissions also incorporated a temperature switch to prevent lock up until a certain temp. was reached.

My 700R4 was set to lock the TCC in 4th at around 50mph and the brake switch was wired to unlock it to prevent jolts and stalling during emergency braking. I also had it configured to optionally lock 2nd and 3rd using a switch in the cab.

JeepSJ
03-03-2004, 15:19
Thanks!

Would you happen to have the part number for the throttle cable bracket for a vehicle with cruise control?

britannic
03-03-2004, 16:12
If you already have the throttle cable bracket for a cruise control, the 700R4 TV cable support and linkage will work fine with it. I don't have the part # for the CC bracket, but www.gmpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com) has a question page and will usually get back to you within 3 days.

Originally posted by JeepSJ:
Thanks!

Would you happen to have the part number for the throttle cable bracket for a vehicle with cruise control?