PDA

View Full Version : nickle in CUCV

cubby
02-26-2004, 19:33
Do all years of CUCV engines have the higher nickle content or just the 82's. I bought one this last week from a guy here in town 85'Blazer 70,000 miles purr's like a kitten. I bought it just for the motor and trans.

britannic
02-26-2004, 21:54
The military spec called for the high nickel content block on all they years they used. However,there were exceptions to the rule, when a replacement engine was required and only the civilian version was available.

C.K. Piquup
03-02-2004, 04:21
Is there a way of identifying true CUCV engines?I know they are from several years/runs,mostly`84-`86.Is there an"M"number or some other way to ID w/o cuttin`a slice and having a biopsy?

wthif
03-02-2004, 18:58
I doubt there is. I recently installed a CUCV engine in my truck and noticed the even the casting numbers were the same as all the rest of the 6.2 I've seen. If you are not sure you are getting a high nickel block you might want to try to find a 82 block because they have a very distinctive red color. The 82 block I pulled from my truck is missing most of its paint but is still very obvious that it was red at some point.

Stage1
03-09-2004, 16:02
Do the cylinder heads on CUCV engines also have the higher nickle content like the blocks?

Also, were the high nickle content blocks used in military Hummers?

thanks,
Les

waorth
03-10-2004, 08:32
Don't know for sure about the heads.

Recently I searched for a passenger side head. All I found were 3 heads out of CUCVs, all of them with small cracks between the valves of #2 and/or #8 cylinder.

So, if heads of CUCV are of the high nickel type, it doesn't seem to prevent from cracks. :confused:

Just my 2 cents.

Walter

Stage1
03-10-2004, 19:25
Walter,
When you have machine work done for a valve job, the machinist could tell from how hard the had material is. Normally Chevy heads are very soft.
I drag race Buick 455 engine and the block/heads are very hard/hi nickle content.

Also, today my truck went for its first drive, :D took it around the farm in low range and everything sounded fine. The first battery was boiling a little when I got back, will have to check the charging voltage next time I start it.
Next project for the truck will be to replace two windows that were missing. Just received the new weather stripping from the General today.

How about a status update on your fuel injection up-grades.

Les

C.K. Piquup
03-11-2004, 03:13
I`m thinking civilian-swaps(by the military)should be the rare exception at this point.I`ve not seen a CUCV w/over 80,000+/-miles(from the military)and with the better blocks...As time goes by and more miles(civvy)are put on these vehicles,it`ll become more of a crap-shoot,relying on the knowledge and honesty of the seller.

waorth
03-11-2004, 09:21
Les,

glad to hear that you finally got the beast moving ;)

Both of my batteries are leaking since installation (3 and 4 years). Tired of replacing rusted inner fenders, I put a small plastic hose in the vent holes of each batt and lead them into a plastic bottle.

IMHO the charging system of the M 1008/M1009 is not perfect.
I heard of some owners who swappped front and rear batteries from time to time. Maybe this is helpful in your case too.

For my latest experiences with the upgrades, you may take a look at my other post (4911pump & injectors installed).

Walter