PDA

View Full Version : New parts for my truck!!

arveetek
01-06-2005, 14:45
I thought Christmas was over, but I got another present today! Just received a new 6.2L dual-idler gear drive set for my truck. Now I can't wait to get it installed!

I got a good deal on it too...found a member in the classifieds who had a brand new set he never used...he sold the truck before he had a chance to install it. I saved quite a bit of money! :D

You know you've got diesel fever when you get all giddy over something like a set of gears! tongue.gif

Casey

john8662
01-06-2005, 14:57
Casey,

I will be interested in how your gear install goes. I installed the gears in my 86, it seems to run great. But the gears are quite noisy, I am curious how yours compare.

78Chev
01-06-2005, 15:28
John - What kind of noise do they make?
Randy

Subzilla
01-07-2005, 04:31
John,
I installed a set in my '83 about a year ago and noticed a rattle-like (Ford-like) noise at idle. Once you jump up the rpm's, the noise diminishes and I'm assuming yours does the same. I was concerned at first, but everything I've heard from TDP members says this is quite normal. I notice quite an increase in power and smooth idle. Fuel mileage also jumped up. I was replacing the original 230k mile chain. I plan to install the gears on my '86 when time and money permits.

KEVIN MUNCASTER
01-07-2005, 07:57
I put mine in and the noise is more mechanical in nature. It's not offensive, just louder. I noticed starting is better, power is hard to tell given it is winter. Very cool.

mhagie
01-07-2005, 19:08
My Avant 6.5 reman has a gear drive set-up and it is super quiet I never hear it, of course it is probably covered up by the loud diesel hammer this engine produces.
Got to check the timing one of these days.
bought a nice Rotunda meter from Britannic, never got around to using it yet.
Merle