PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Pickup conversion to 6.2, anybody tried this?

Jim@CFT
01-06-2006, 06:27
I have a 1972 Chevy 1/2 4x4 that has a sick 350. I also have a 1984 1/2 suburban with a very good 6.2. Has anyone tried installing a 6.5 or a 6.2 into the old sheet steel, "real front axle" pickups? I think it will be a challenge!!

BARRAZA
01-06-2006, 18:34
Haven't done it but I also have a 72k10 and a 6.2 that I want to put together. Things I am researching before I start are:
Oil pan clearance - Not all small block pans will clear the 4x4 crossmember, so a 6.2 pan may have problems also. Not too serious a problem, but no way to find out with out trying
Transmissions - I have a turbo 350 which will bolt to the 6.2, but I dont think a 6.2 ever used a t350 and I need to find a way to adapt the kickdown cable, I think the vacuum regulator valve on the IP pump will work ok for the modulator valve. My 6.2 has a turbo 400/np208 transfer case. I want to keep my np205 case but the t400 wont adapt easily. If you have a manual trans it will be easier.
Mounts are no problem.
Should have plenty of exhaust room.
Keep us informed with your progress

Robyn
01-07-2006, 17:20
You can drop the 6.2 right in
The mounts will fit fine.
The 350 turbo will work but it would be good to use a 400 convertor with 4 bolts. Replace the front pump bushing in the tranny and the front pump seal too.
The rest is easy. use your hot wire to the ignition to run the Pump. (big read wire)
Also you need to feed power to the Cold case advance through the little temp switch so you will get fast idle and easy cold start. you will need to work out a feed to run the glow plug controler or do it manually. The radiator needs to be the big one from the diesel rig and be sure and use the oil cooler. A way cool and nice touch is to dig up a serp belt drive off a later diesel and use it. BE SURE TO USE THE SERP DRIVE WATER PUMP as they run backward from the old style with V belts.
Good luck and have fun
Robyn

Robyn
01-07-2006, 17:23
OH BTW your 400 turbo will bolt right up not a problem. This is GM remember and all good things will fit.
Be sure to use a diesel torque converter though

Robyn
01-07-2006, 17:27
OH I forgot this little tid bit.
You need to have a good working vacuum pump and also get a vacuum control valve for the pump on the diesel. This little guy will run your Vacuum modulator on the 350 or 400 and you just mess with the thing till you get a nice shift without tearing your head off. Be sure and go a little stiff rather than loose on the mod setup to keep from having slips when shifting. The vacuum valve was used on the 2500 Subs and trucks with the 6.2 when using the 400 (Factory stuff)
Good luck

danieleyk
01-19-2006, 13:35
This not exactly a reply, more of a similar question. Has anyone ever put a 6.2 in a Ford? I have a 1976 F-150 that is in real good shape, only 80,000 miles, but it has a 390 and is really hard on gas, but will work hard. It's 2 wheel drive and I have been checking into possibly putting a 6.2 in it. I have always preferred GM's, but we got this from my father-in-laws estate and I have gotten to like it fairly well. I would like to be able to tow about 6,000 pounds of travel trailer as well. I have found a couple of contacts in Australia who have done this same basic conversion, just not a 390. Thanks for any inputs.

DieselDavy
01-20-2006, 07:06
Dan,
Try Craigville Diesel, Craigville In. They work on all types of diesel and have done the 6.2/Ford combo for one of their own rides. They know just how to make the adapters, etc.
Their Ph # is 260-565-3184.
I've used them many times for farm as well as truck diesel work.
Dave

snoman87
01-20-2006, 07:16
Check this one out.

The Diesel Place Thread (http://***********.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61351)
(http://***********.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61351)

danieleyk
01-20-2006, 20:01
To Snowman87, I tried connecting to the thread you put in and it didn't work. How else can I check that thread? Thanks

britannic
01-20-2006, 20:55
The link is being changed by a script on the server, the actual URL has been replaced by asterix's. Reverse the change by replacing the asterix's with "t h e d i e s e l p l a c e" (remove the spaces I added, because even the word itself is being censored), this way you'll be able to load the link yourself.

Originally posted by Dan E.:
To Snowman87, I tried connecting to the thread you put in and it didn't work. How else can I check that thread? Thanks