PDA

View Full Version : TPS-Is there a way to test them?

livn2play
01-05-2006, 15:23
Adding to the list of TC lockup problems. I have an intermitted problem with my TC locking up, sometimes it locks, sometimes it doesn't. It has just recently began doing this, so I was wondering if the TPS could be bad and if there was a way to test one. I have checked the setting of it with a .646 block and seems to be adjusted right. Any ideas.
Thanks

john8662
01-05-2006, 16:34
Could very well be a failed TPS. It's more of a switch than anything.

Replace it, and install the new one in the same position/orientation as the old one was, or use the block (I've never had one handy).

I had some success with removing the one from my '82 truck recently that was behaving odd, and cleaning it. I already had the injection pump off for a quick swap, but decided to take apart the TPS and clean it up a bit, because it was sticking. I didn't take it totally apart, just removed the spring, and carefully removed the dirt and grime from inside where the spring goes. After all the grime and dirt was removed I sprayed some WD-40 so that it penetrated inside the switch and worked the swith until I could feel it click at one point and then be free elsewise. Then I cleaned the spring thourally, so it wouldn't bind itself. Then re-installed the spring into the switch, and re-installed it on the truck with the pump. Now the transmission gets a TC lock the way it's supposed to, every time, just don't know how long this is gonna last though.

There is a way to test your existing switch, I just don't recall which two wires get switched (Book is at the shop).

Robyn
01-13-2006, 14:39
Also check the brake pedal switch too as this is also hooked up so if you touch the brake it unlocks the TCC