PDA

View Full Version : intake

TonyL
10-23-2003, 04:21
I pulled my air cleaner off today and the bottom has a oily film and the inside of the intake is caked with black oily crap. This doesnt seem normal to me but is the only 6.2 I have ever seen. Its in a 83 3/4 ton with a "c" code engine odometer read 88,000 and I'm sure its been around at least once. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tony

catmandoo
10-23-2003, 04:46
had lots of 5.7 do that and took off intakes and took years to come back on some.

britannic
10-23-2003, 06:27
The oil film is the mist from the CDR valve that keeps negative pressure in the crankcase to prevent blowing out seals and lubricate the intake valves etc.

The black crap is from the EGR system that's recycling some of the exhaust on the "C" engine. If you can upgrade the air intake to a "J" engine type and lose the EGR system (state law permitting), your engine will benefit greatly.

TonyL
10-23-2003, 07:58
Is the J code intake the dual plane type? If I do the swap can I take out all the egr stuff including these two black plastic things that the vacuum lines go to? How about the thing on the exhaust? I am not familier with the technical names of this stuff as you can tell. What else is there to the swap.

Dieselboy
10-23-2003, 08:13
If you switch over the the J intake, it has no provision for an EGR, so you can deposit everything in the EGR system into the nearest trash can. The only other details for the intake swap would be to pay special attention to the locations of the intake hardware, and reassemble in the same location. Go back with a quality set of intake gaskets like Felpro.

Like Brittanic mentioned, in some states the J intake on a 1/2 ton is not compliant with local or state emissions laws. Here in Texas, things are relatively simple, and nobody has even checked for a working EGR system on my truck. The intake has been swapped for many years, and the EGR was rendered non-functional long before that. They don't even look under my father's 96 6.5TD for the long since removed catalytic converter.

Good luck!

TonyL
10-23-2003, 08:20
to my knowledge that is the only thing the vacum pump is there for would I just plug that?

britannic
10-23-2003, 08:24
On some models the vacuum pump runs the heating and cooling vent controls. If you have the TH400 transmission, the vacuum also controls the shift points through the IP throttle position valve.