PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump wiring, alt wiring, tach - Need help

84 C2B2
01-03-2005, 16:33
I posted this in another area but let me try here. I installed a Racor 45 with heater, Autozone electric fuel pump and adding a 108 amp alternator.

I see in back issues of posts and hard copies that Dr. Lee wired his fuel pump to run in auto and manual. In the auto mode - is the wiring also tied through an oil pressure switch similar to later 6.5 models?

108 amp alternator. I'm replacing the 67 amp. What size gage should I use to run to the battery in addition to the wires running to the starter?

Tach setup. I found a great condition vacuum pump with the ESS module. I have no computer. will the two wires coming from the ESS module followed by the Dr. Lee radio shack mod to a tach work?

Jerry Giedeman

More Power
01-03-2005, 19:58
Jerry,

Your glow system can draw up to about 120 amps, so you could use that wire gauge as a guide.

I imagine your new oil pump drive would work for a tach input as Dr. Lee mentioned. I sent a link to him concerning this thread.

Using an oil pressure switch to power the lift pump would be a good idea... for safety's sake..

MP

CleviteKid
01-04-2005, 06:39
Hi Jerry,

You will have exactly what I have regarding the ESS drive. My computer (actually an emission control module) is completely disconnected and brain-dead above the glove box, and I am just using the two wires coming off the sensor on the vacuum pump to provide the signal to my circuit. There are magnets and coils in the sensor that generate the AC signal that gets amplified and clipped to drive the tach.

Running your electric lift pump thru an oil pressure sensor in the automatic mode is a good idea, since it will stop the flow of fuel if the engine stops.

Dr. Lee :cool: