PDA

View Full Version : Balancer and Damper?

Duncan Sterling
01-03-2005, 14:59
Greetings,

I'm wondering if I shouldn't go ahead and replace my harmonic balancer and damper pulley with 116k on the motor.

Can anyone suggest a supplier and/or parts numbers?

TIA,

--Duncan

john8662
01-03-2005, 18:23
Which year 6.2 are you requesting a Harmonic Balancer and Dampner pulley for? Your '84 won't have a the Dampner for the belts, but rather a pressed steel pulley, but it will have the same Harmonic Balancer as the rest of the 6.2L's. The 91 Model 6.2 will have the Dampner, there are only two Dampners, one for A/C and one w/o. I'll see what I can dig up for part numbers..

KEVIN MUNCASTER
01-03-2005, 18:46
Call Team Chev in Scottsbluff Nebraska. They have a site at www.teamchev.com (http://www.teamchev.com) I dealt with Tom but any of the guys there will help. Pricing is excellent and shipping is quick and free on orders over $100.00. My balancer was around $100.00 and the crank pulley was $150.00ish. I have the invoice at work with the numbers. I can post them tomorrow.

diesel65
01-03-2005, 18:49
GM had a service bulletin for increasing belt life on the older 6.2's with the stamped steel pulley.
It listed the damper pulley and the four bolt to install it.
It was the best thing I did on my 85', because I was replacing the alternator belt frequently.

CleviteKid
01-04-2005, 06:47
I am still running my original stamped steel crank pulley on my '84. I solved the alternator-belt issue by:

1. Using good V-belts, like Goodyear Gatorback, or similar, for about $10+ each. The cheap $4 belts are worthless for our trucks.

2. Keeping the belt TIGHT. When you put a new belt on, you need to RE-TIGHTEN it after about 20 miles, then re-tighten every couple of months. I have had the same alternator for 13 years, so the bearings can take the high belt load. If you hear the alternator belt squeal, it is too late; that belt is done for.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Duncan Sterling
01-04-2005, 14:32
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I should have specified in my original post that I meant my '91. If you all have parts numbers for the pulley, that would be great. Sounds like the dealer out west is the way to go.

But: advice on the '84 is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

--Duncan

Duncan Sterling
01-17-2005, 13:36
OK, that was a pleasant surpise.

I just got off the phone with the parts department at Team Chevrolet in Scott's Bluff.

At first, they quoted me nearly $500 for both the balancer and the damper. But then I told them where I was calling from and then the price including shipping dropped to $281!

The explanation was that this is the "internet" price as opposed to the over the counter price.

I know who I'm calling next time for GM specific parts. Wow.

--Duncan