PDA

View Full Version : removing injector lines

KEVIN MUNCASTER
01-03-2005, 05:01
I am in the middle of installing my J code intake and new valve covers (e bay bargains) I had to undo all 8 injector lines to remove valve covers. When I reattach the lines, will everything be ok, or do I need to bleed the system. When I replaced my lift pump, truck started right up, but this is after the inj. pump, so is there a procedure to follow ?

The new valve covers are going to dress it up nice, and the J intake should be a nice addition.

Great way to pass the winter blues away !

Thanks, Kev :D

john8662
01-03-2005, 06:38
Go ahead and bleed them if you can. You should be able to start it without bleeding it though, its just going to take more cranking to get it going again.

CleviteKid
01-03-2005, 16:16
I have a slightly different opinion, although John is right, it will PROBABLY start with a bunch of cranking. Remember to only crank for 15 seconds at a time, and let the starter cool for a FULL TWO MINUTES between cranking sessions.

I would suggest that you leave two of the lines 3/4 turn loose at the injectors. Pick the two that are the easiest for you to get to.

Spray around these two loose lines first with brake cleaner, then with carburetor cleaner. This will leave the fittings absolutely dry, so you can see when they start to weep fuel.

Now, crank away, as described above. Any air will be purged out through the two open lines, and the engine should start to run after about three 15-second cranking sessions. You can leave it running and tighten the two loose injector nuts, and listen to the engine smooth out and run right.

Good Luck, Dr. Lee :cool:

TanM998
01-04-2005, 14:21
why do you have to remove the lines to remove the valve covers? I never needed to... even when I had to replace a lifter....

you can bend the lines up some and it will give you enough room to get the valve cover off... then they will bend back to where they were... and no you shouldn't need to bleed the system, those lines don't hold much fuel at all, plus they are not on a suction side, rather a high pressure side of the pump.

1 suggestion, just remember to clean off the head before you remove the valve cover, no need to get any crap in there.

Scott
'85 Tan M998 W/CTIS