PDA

View Full Version : 6.2l transmission and truck

Fla truck
10-22-2003, 16:47
I have a 93 6.2L, stock everything, I have 191,000 miles, and am a litle concerned about the transmision. It is not slipping, but i had to have a relay replaced in it about 30,000 miles ago. The techinician who did the work, not a dealer, said I probably need to have have it rebuilt in about a year. Well my year has come and gone, and was wondering as i picked up some stuff at Autozone, can i just buy a rebuilt transmission there, and have a ex dealer tech install it, i was quoted about 5000. for a rebuild and 2600. for a autozone rebuild.
I saw this ID plate on the tranny.... Hydromatic KD.P.
And as well as i am here what else can i expect from this truck...
I have done the oil at between 2500 and 3500 for the life of this truck and done the tranns fluid about every 15,000 to 20,000 depending on the load and travel legenth.... the techinician did say that was the cleanest transmission he had seen. Other wise it is a wonderful truck.
I have replaced the glowplugs and controller, killed 4 alternators, 2 "oh never run this truck below 3/8's of a tank" fuel pump, electric, not mechanical. And the general brakes, fuel filters and such.I would love to say i have not abused this truck but.....it is a truck.
thanks for the advice in advance

catmandoo
10-22-2003, 17:41
i take it your in fla. is it a 4x4?either way that 2600 or 5000 sounds like somebodys getting taken to the cleaners,yes this would be you! heck if ya check book price the truck probably isn't even worth that much.but there in is the question do you spend x amount of dollars to fix it or spend xxx amount of dollars on something newer that only depreciates more than what the fix costs. if ya like the truck and what i would do is drive it til the trans does go than worry about it.my old 84 has been popping out of second for 2 years now and it just won't quit. i've just learned to live with it and when it does quit i'll pull the motor for something else.what may i ask is the reason you were told you might get another year out of it?is it shifting funny?slipping?i would think with your fluid changes it should be like new yet.i think in the 10 years i've owned my 84 i've changed the fluid maybe twice and put 200,000 miles on it.

mhagie
10-22-2003, 19:17
Seeing as how you are in Fla.check w/Dr. Lee he installed a newly rebuilt tran not very long ago and I'd bet the farm he didn't pay that much.
Take this post to ask Dr. Lee. check hm out.he can help. :D

Eric Deslauriers
10-27-2003, 12:08
I got 175K on a 4L60E that did a lot of hauling (usually butt) in a gasser I had. They can last a good long time if they're maintained and kept cool.

If that is a 4L80E (and I assume it is), then the $$ quoted to rebuild isn't far off.

FWIW, the GM replacement trans come w/ a 36K/3y parts and labor warranty - even if you install it.

Not the most awesomest trans out there, but you can't beat the warranty.

I have had very good luck with Jet Transmission trannies. Art Carr does some good ones as well. Bowtie does not do 4L80Es.

Silver
11-04-2003, 18:14
I have a '93 6.2L K2500 4x4. I had the transmission (4L60E) replaced at the dealer for $1950 (tax and all)in Alabama. This has the 3 year 50,000 mile warranty as well. My old transmission was slipping in overdrive and doing some other funny stuff, but I drove it until it was almost dead - then replaced it at 167,000. I always did fluid changes every 15,000 because I pulled with it, but I bought it with 85,000 miles already on it -so I don't really know how the previous owners maintained it.
I would drive it until it dies. If I would have replaced mine when I first thought about it, it would have been 2 years and 30,000 miles too early. If you go with a dealer, shop around. I got prices into the $3500 range from some dealers.