PDA

View Full Version : Single VS Dual Plane Intake?

Stage1
01-01-2005, 15:31
What is the effect and why did GM go to the single plane vs the dual plane air intake manifold for newer NA engines? I remember that a couple of members are using the HMMWV single plane intake on their 6.2s, what do you think of this intake?
thanks,
Les

Peter J. Bierman
01-03-2005, 13:10
There seems to be a slight differance in airflow, the single plane is supposed to flow a bit more.
This gives a bit better performance at full throttle, but the dual plane should give a little more bottom end torque.
This is hear say for me, I have a dual now and a single humvee coming in so later I know :D

Peter

dieselcrawler
01-03-2005, 15:18
I have both types... the dual plane on my CUCV 1028, and the single plane on the K-5. I'm not sure how much diffrence the transmissions make, but the single plane intake on the K-5 sure seems to wind out more, and about the same on power. However, it's also in a K-5, at about 6500 lbs, vs, the K-30 CUCV with dual rear wheels and a utility bed at 8000 lbs.
I have thought about thought about switching them, just to see if it makes a diffrence. If I does, I"ll let you know. Gasket set doesn't cost that much... if only I had the time to tinker... maybe when I put on that dang turbo... *grin*

Later,
Greg

Stage1
01-03-2005, 15:26
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. My question was to help make a decision on which intake to use. I also have both( J and HUMMWV), and will try to measure the runner port volume on each - FYI. Also, as you said, the longer runners, etc of the dual plane should make it have more low end torque.

Do you know what type( single vs dual) of intake the later 90's 6.5 NA engines use?

This low RPM and diesel air flow stuff is all so new to me, no experience( other toys have stall converter speeds of about 5400 RPMs).
Keep in touch w/your findings, my Blazer project is moving forward slowly, continueing to aquire parts slowly. Plan to take it apart ( :eek: from the Blazer) in the next couple of months to clean, fix a couple of rust holes, and paint the frame and underside of body.

Also, will be looking at the cylinder heads for this project soon.

How is your truck running?

Les

Stage1
01-03-2005, 15:30
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the informantion!

Les

EWC
01-03-2005, 16:28
The dual plane and the HMMWV have the air cleaner mounting studs mounted 90* apart i.e. dual plane mounting front to rear and the HMMWV across the intake . The HMMWV is supposed to be shorter than the dual plane ??

The later 6.5 N/A should be of the single plane style and worth about 20 CFM more than the dual plane .

Peter J. Bierman
01-04-2005, 11:59
My truck runs ok for the moment, but with all the things I did to it, I think there is more were that came from :D
I have a few things coming in soon like a Humvee intake, Diesel Depot camshaft and a computer for the 4L80E transmission I have lying around.
I smoked the TH400 so I can't really smoke my tires :(
But the 4L80E with progamable computer, the cam and intake, combined with 6.5 heads and more boost should do the trick :D

Peter