PDA

View Full Version : Long Haul Finally Over

Thermal Jock
12-30-2004, 17:56
Hey All,
Broke the new engine in the hard way. Towed 9500 lbs from Colorado to Florida. What a week.
Thoought it would take 4-5 days. Left SW Colorado just in front of a storm, but it caught up to us and we had to pull off due to icy roads just 1/2 day out. Next in west Texas we blew a tranny coooler line and spent 2 hrs in a junk yard finding a makeshift replacement. It was 20 deg in Texas and cold laying on my back on the asphalt. Glad we were south! Motored on to New Orleans, they shut down all the interstates due to ice for 1 1/2 days. Next day spent 3 hours finding a bad oil pressure gauge wire as my gauge read either 0 or max. Got stuck in Pensacola for 4 hours due to a highway shut down. Finally made it in 6 days.
I'm amazed at how much more power I have and lower EGT's at Sea Lev vs. 6000 ft. I can actually punch it to the floor and leave it now, my EGT's just kiss 1000 deg but no more. In Colorado I'd been at 1200 and climbing. I saw 12 lbs of boost towing! Mostly ran 60-65, about half the time in OD. Love that Gear Vendors OD for towing. Averaged 9.8 mpg for the haul.My first tank in Florida (hauling only tools) I got 17.4 mpg--but alot of that was city driving.Got about 16 in Colorado.
Wonder about the humidity also. Instead of dry days at 20-30% or lots less on the plateau, it's 60-70% here. I think a water injection system woould be better than an intercooler in dry climates.
Love the mileage possts-- still trying to finis it.