PDA

View Full Version : Turbo install tips wanted

dieselcrawler
12-29-2004, 06:53
Hello all,
I'm getting ready to put a turbo on my truck, I got it off ebay a few weeks ago, it was mentioned in a thread, some people thought it was a Rayjay turbo... however, it didn't come with gages. I need a boost gage, and a EGT gage. Where are the best places to get thoes?
Any other tips that may make my install go easier?

Thanks,

Greg

More Power
12-29-2004, 18:06
I like the Isspro gauges. You can get them from a variety of dealers listed in the Advertisers Page (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm).

Prime the oil feed line before the first start, and make sure the oil drain line drains properly.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of getting everything assembled correctly.

You may need to "turn up the pump" at some point to increase the injection pump fuel-rate - to take advantage of the boost.

MP

dieselcrawler
12-31-2004, 11:34
I have also thought about doing some other things at the same time, such as new head gaskets, oil pan, rear main, etc. It seems that it's a common thing for head gaskets to go not long after a turbo is installed, any input on that? Also, what about the lift pump? I have the stock mech lift pump on it now, but it's been said that the turbo makes changing this very hard, and a electric one is the way to go... any sugjustions as to make and model that have worked well for any of you? I am also thinking of going the way of veggie oil in the future, and would like to accomodate that now, if it makes any diffrence.

Thanks....

Greg