PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

84 Convert
12-23-2004, 21:47
Just checking my thinking on how to measure timing chain slop. With a straight edge against the outside edge of the chain links, I get about 1/4" measurement to the outside of the link when pushing the chain toward the center of the block. My question...is the slop measurement made in only one direction or two added? The latter would make no sense to me. I'm hoping it is the one direction method because that means I have time to save up for the gears!

Thanks for your replies,

Gregg

Brianlar
12-25-2004, 06:38
Haynes book says, "To inspect the timing chain, remove the timing chain cover and temporarily reinstall the vibration damper bolt. Using this bolt, rotate the crankshaft in a counterclockwise direction to take up the slack in the right (passenger's) side of the chain. Establish a reference point on the block and measure from that point to the chain. Rotate the crankshaft in a clockwise direction to take up the slack in the left (driver's) side of the chain. Force the left side of the chain out with your fingers and measure the distance between the reference points and the chain. The difference between the two measurements is the slack. If the slack exceeds 1/2 in. install a new chain and sprockets." So, the slack is measured laterally, not lengthwise.

84 Convert
12-26-2004, 08:24
Ok, so I did it alittle differently than Haynes says, but the lateral measurement was what I was taking, and it was about 1/4"...Good enough fer now. When my pocketbook recovers from my current project, I'll have to round up some gears.

Thanks,

Gregg