PDA

View Full Version : Replacing 305 gas with 6.2 diesel

KEITH BRITTON
11-23-2005, 08:13
I'm thinking about changing my 305 to a 6.2 diesel. Will my torque converter and flywheel mate up, also do I need to beef up the front springs?

arveetek
11-23-2005, 09:05
My '81 C20 came from the factory with a 305, and I replaced it with my 6.2L in 1996. The transmission will bolt right up, you can use your current torque convertor, but you'll need a new flexplate (flywheel) for the 6.2L. The diesel transmissions did use a lower stall speed torque convertor, but your gasser one will work fine.

The 6.2L will bolt right in place of the 305, but you'll need all the engine-driven accessories, like alternator, PS pump, and a/c compressor. You'll also need the larger 6.2L radiator.

You don't have to swap front springs, but you might want to. I swapped in a 6.2L in place of a 305 in a '77 2WD Blazer, and I didn't touch the springs. But when I did the same swap in my 3/4 ton, it seemed to squat quite a bit and started wearing my front tires. I swapped in 1 ton springs, and had the front end aligned. Either way, you should get a front end alignment once it's running.

Casey

garysleeman
11-23-2005, 13:45
When I did my swap I purchased a 6.2 flexplate from an aftermarket parts place (maybe Northern) and the holes didn't line up with my gasser torque converter. I had to drill my own.