PDA

View Full Version : Once more for the new guy!

jaymanaa
11-18-2005, 13:58
Please bear with me, I know you old timers have been thru this 100 times, but I need some advice. I bought my 85 3/4 ton 6.2, turbo 400, GM corp with 4:10 gear, 2 wheel drive pick-up about a year ago from the original owner, ( a farmer who used it to pull a goose neck. Anyway it has been well maintained and does everything I need it to (pull a 19 foot stratos bass boat). It has 115,000 miles and I just started noticing a pretty bad vibration at certain engine RPMs (low). I've heard the horror stories and have decided I need to change the harmonic balancer. My questions are how for do I go? I see alot about timing gears. Do you have to pull front cover to replace front seal? Do I use a GM balancer at 165 bucks or a napa at 85? I am a industrial a/c mech. so I'm pretty good with the wrenches. It just seems that there is a lot to know about these engines. I love this truck and don't want to break it. Thanks a ton in advance, Jayman

Lightyear
11-19-2005, 05:07
My own experience with aftermarket parts hasn't been good. I've been using GM only after going through TWO a/c compressors from the local chain. One lasted w ekk, and one was seizing while teh a'c tech was charging it. I ponied up the cash for a Delphi, and have no trouble since. IMHO, it seems that at least some aftermarket sources do not have the build quality of the original GM parts. Spending more once and doind the job once made more sense to me than trying to go the route of fewer bucks more often. Best of luck.

NH2112
11-19-2005, 06:31
You should be able to pull the seal without taking the front cover off, just be sure not to let anything fall into the oil pan. It'll be easiest to replace the balancer if you pull the radiator and grille and work through the radiator support, instead of trying to do it with the radiator in place and taking a chance on poking a hole in it. If you can get a harmonic balancer installer, get it, because they fit TIGHT and using a hammer means a good chance of messing up crank end play.