PDA

View Full Version : Looking at making a change

crew84
07-28-2004, 19:07
I started looking at Duramax trucks today. I have been trying to justify spending money on my truck for years. I have not, with all the money ($24K+) put into it, gotten it to tow much faster or cooler. It has been a workhorse for me for years. The turbo added some power and created worry with EGTs. Without a load it runs great. With a load it will get me there slowly. I noticed that the load does not seem to matter. A 1K pound trailer or a 10K pound trailer will suck my speed down on any grade or headwind. It is also the fact that I am tired of working on it with all the little things that need attention on a 1984 truck. It has been 30K miles since the rebuilt and countless upgrades that I can not see doing anymore. My wife does not like driving it and after her test drive on a new 04 duramax Crew Cab SLT she does not want me to put another dime into it.

gmctd
07-29-2004, 08:32
Even if you still felt an affinity for the mystique and aura of driving a truck like noone else's, I'm afraid you would be doomed, my friend, once She, Who Must Be Obeyed, puts her foot down (to the metal on the pedal of a DuraMax).

My commiserations and congratulations to you, and here's to a wonderful ride, and harmonious future.

May the Juice be with you.

[ 07-30-2004, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

jbell
08-04-2004, 04:27
You will not regret the dmax. My dad's quad cab dmax, loaded with about 15K behind, onramp's quickly, passes, and will run 95 easily with that much load behind. (Don't ask how I know that.....)

Stock they're great, turned up even better. You've got semi power, in somthing that will fit in a parking space...

Here's a "claim" from a neighbor with a turned up dmax. He traded a c5 corvette for the dmax, added a hot chip and exhaust -- and claims it's faster from 60 to 100 than the c5.

crew84
08-04-2004, 06:23
Look like I will buy a Dmax in Sept. I still will have to repair those little annoyances in my 84 crew to sell it. Things like the passenger electric door lock sticking, squeaking brake pedal arm, washer pump ground wire, and tighten a few trim screws. I have a load of project parts for it also. I have two IP cores, one set 6.2 injectors long, one set short, latest pulley, R134A air conditioner compressor with lines, new dryer and variable orifice valve, two clutch fan units, starters, alternators, Autozone inline electric fuel pump as per DP upgrade, fuel tank valves, and tools such as diesel timing kit set , injector socket/ wrenches. I also have the $500.00 oil system Pre-luber for Turbo which I have never installed. Too bad I can not use the B&W turner ball hitch and fifth-wheel attachment which I had installed new seven months ago.

jbell
08-04-2004, 07:04
sleazy redneck thing to try on the electric lock sticking, screw down the plastic lock pull so that when locked it actually hits the top of the door. Usually what happens is when the solenoid pulls the lock down, the mechanism is worn enough it goes just a bit too far and that's why it sticks. Worked like a charm in my 85 burb... and kept me from having to actually 'fix' the mechanism's

crew84
08-04-2004, 07:27
I know that it is just an adjustment. It has been sticking since I installed it. There are adjustments that I did not play with when I installed it because it worked then 2001. It stuck once and a while then.

wthif
08-04-2004, 19:34
How much are you going to ask for your truck. I doubt I have the money but would love a crew cab truck.

crew84
08-05-2004, 05:16
It is hard to put a price on it. Money wise I would be better off parting it out on Ebay. If I ask $10,000 for it I will be surprised to get it. If I part it out I will get more than that. The parts would add up quick but a 1984 crew cab has a low Blue book making it not much of an investment. Having $24,000+ put into it in the last four years was a labor of love. I will look at my options with parting it out as a last resort.

1984 Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab
Banks Turbo
30K on rebuilt Engine and Transmission
GearVender OD
Dual idlers
Hummer intake
Rebuilt suspension/steering/brakes
B&W Turnover ball Hitch with Fifth wheel attachment
Class V receiver
Stainless running boards plus more....

gmctd
08-05-2004, 05:53
Not only is it an antique, but it is a rare antique, in new condition, and improved.

Put it on e-bay with a $10k reserve, and just sit back and be amazed\astounded.

ropinfool
08-05-2004, 11:03
You should be able to reuse the companion 5th wheel hitch. Just install another turnover in your new truck and viola, 5th wheel ready!
John

crew84
08-05-2004, 18:04
The short bed HD2500 Crew Cab Dmax needs a slider hitch so I can use my fifth wheel and not hit the cab on tight turns.

wthif
08-06-2004, 07:00
I knew I was out of the running when I posted that question. So I wish you the best of luck when selling your truck.