PDA

View Full Version : boost?

doncannon
07-27-2004, 19:28
:confused:
How much boost should I get. I have the deflector removed form the front. I do not have a muffler (boy does it sound good). I have the pump 1/2 turn CW and I only see about 5 lbs if I stand on it!
Thanks again to all,
Don

catmandoo
07-28-2004, 05:21
thats about what i get out of mine.on my 92 6.5 with the banks.even my old 82 sub might push 6 with a heavy load uphills.guess thats the way banks designed um so you aren't pushing more boost then the motor can handle.

arveetek
07-28-2004, 06:49
What are your EGT's? Boost and EGT's are closely linked together. The more fuel you burn, the more boost you create. Low EGT's mean lower boost.

Also, max. boost won't be had until near max. rpm. Boost and engine speed are also directly linked. I can't make more than 5 lbs of boost in overdrive, but if I slam it down in 2nd gear at 55 mph and give it full throttle, the boost jumps up to 14 psi.

I usually show 14 psi at near-governed rpm, at 1050 degrees.

Also, if you have any leaks in your pressure system, that will greatly affect boost. I had to try a couple of times to get the seal between the pressure chamber and the intake manifold to hold. When it would blow, it would lower my boost a bunch. Look for any oily spots in the pressure chamber, pipes, and joints.

Casey

jcomp
07-28-2004, 15:38
I get around 5 PSI max in normal driving, 8 PSI in second gear at 55 MPH going up a steep hill. EGTs are around 1000. Coolant temps are 200 on a long hill.

grape
07-28-2004, 16:36
for $200 i can fix that problem :D

doncannon
07-31-2004, 09:24
Thanks to all,
I just wanted to make sure I was in line. I have a little black smoke after winding the pump to 1/2 turn from stock. I hope this seems right? Once I get the rear main in I will hitch up the 5th wheel and see how it does (don't want all that oil under the 5er). Then I will decide whether to go to the school of the 4911 pump and 6.5 injectors. Maybe even the intercooler could have a chance after that!
thank again,
Don

Shig
08-11-2004, 12:14
Grape, your comment "for $200 i can fix that problem" sure perked up my curiosity. Were you referring to increasing boost on the Banks turbo ?. Banks has worked on my engine, they've tuned it to the max output and runs great but the max boost I get is about 7# @ 3000 rpm. I don't care to run above that. They won't add a waste gate and other turbo shops decline to improve their setup.

grape
08-11-2004, 15:42
call turbonetics and tell them you want a p trim "euro" style housing with a .81 A/R. You dont' need a wastegate on your existing set up because the exhaust housing is so large, you don't need to bleed off any excess exhaust pressure to decrease the shaft speed of the turbine. When you start decreasing the A/R, leverage on the exhaust wheel goes up, yet it restricts airflow, and causes boost to keep climing. That's where the wastegate comes into play. Mine has the same size exhaust wheel as the banks (becasue it's an industry standard), except I have a .69 A/R T4 framed exhaust housing, which makes the inlet a little bigger. To keep me from making 20 pounds of boost, I need a wastegate. 6 lbs. by 1500 rpm cures the smoke problem.

Ratau
08-11-2004, 22:28
Grape

Is the waste gate integrated or external and what size?

Do you have the wheel sizes or numbers for the exhaust housing and the compressor housing? Could you perhaps give me the Garrett equivalent to the Turbonetics sizes?

A suggestion from a local guy:

T04B 0.82 or 0.84 exhaust housing with a dash 3 wheel

T04E 0.50 compressor housing with a 7 blade 60 dash 1 wheel.

Your suggestions please

grape
08-12-2004, 07:25
my wastegate is external, i used a sandwich plate from precision turbo that is about 1.25" thick and has the mounting flange for the wastegate cast in, it's a pretty slick peice for $105.

Shig
08-12-2004, 12:24
Thanks Grape and Ratau. The information is appreciated and I'll follow thru with turbonetics. Strange that Banks does'nt provide this info. Sure is nice there's DP.