PDA

View Full Version : noisey timing gears, leaking rear main

doncannon
07-25-2004, 20:35
Hello All,
Since I have installed my turbo I have noticed the timing gears are extremely noisey at idle. Does anyone have any ideas for shimming them? I figure maybe I could cure this while I have the oil pan down. Also I guess that the rear main and oil pan are straight forward like a gasser?
Thanks once again for all the help,
Don :confused:

More Power
07-30-2004, 13:01
Do you have the DSG gear drive timing set?

If so, most can't really hear the gear noise unless the oil filler cap is removed (then it's real noticeable).

The oil pan can be resealed much like that on a gas engine. Aside from a new rubber rear half-circle seal used at the rear of the pan, just use silicone gasket sealer for the remainder of the pan perimeter. Fel-Pro includes a full perimeter gasket in their kits, but you're better off just thoroughly cleaning the mating surfaces with solvent, then use silicone.

MP

doncannon
07-31-2004, 09:17
It seems to be extremely loud on idle (that is the only time). I got the pan off yesterday and there is no play in them (they do float a little in-out). Maybe I should check the clearance? They could be al little tight? Oh they seem to get quite when I advanced the Inj pump from 3deg retard to about 3deg advance (about a line).
Thanks again all,
Don