PDA

View Full Version : Cummins swap ?

KEVIN MUNCASTER
06-07-2005, 17:33
I just came across a sweet deal and couldn't pass it up. 1990 D250 2wd, cummins 5.9, automatic overdrive. Runs perfect, strong, pulls hard. Only dilemma is....hate dodge trucks...love chevys. Has anyone out there transplanted a 6cyl cummins into a c20 or k20 ? I'd like to put it in a 73-87 chassis if it is do-able. Maybe even a 67-72 would be neat. i realize the CTD is long and tall, could be a problem, and what trans to use would be the next question....

If there is any good info available or personal experience, please pass it on, good or bad. I may have to resort to leaving it as is and making peace with driving a Mopar, but it will hurt my pride to take off my bowtie. Onlt reason I'd like it is to carry a 10-12 foot truck camper to swap meets. My C10 carries my 1000 # 8 footer, pulling a tandem trailer full of junk, but she's maxed out..I drive her daily and don't want to hurt her too badly.

Maybe a C30 or k30 Crew Cab would make a nice home for the CTD ? Lots of camper carrying and people carrying room...

ideas ?

Thanks, Kev :D

Craig M
06-08-2005, 05:37
The Cummins into a GMC/Chevy truck/Suburban is a common transplant. Lots of them around. You should be able to get some advise from some who have done the transplant. The Dodge Automatic transmission is usually not used in the transfer.