PDA

View Full Version : turbo intake?

yeti
07-15-2004, 06:50
I have the ability to get a turbo intake from a 95. can that be put on my 6.2 and would it be of any good(more air)?
I will probably get this anyway cause I have the exhaust manifolds to go with it. would just need to get the turbo and parts to finish the job.

Dieselboy
07-15-2004, 07:02
Originally posted by yeti:
I have the ability to get a turbo intake from a 95. can that be put on my 6.2 and would it be of any good(more air)?
I will probably get this anyway cause I have the exhaust manifolds to go with it. would just need to get the turbo and parts to finish the job. It will bolt on. If your CDR utilizes the ports on the side of the manifold you have now, you'll need to figure out a way to keep that thing plumbed in since the new intake will not have any provision for the CDR. The intake is less restrictive, and should provide better flow with the right filter setup.

Here's a picture that highlights the differences among a C, Hummer, and F intake.
http://www.oliverdiesel.com/inventory/differentintakessmall.jpg

yeti
07-15-2004, 11:05
being new to this and still learning, what is the cdr?

Dieselboy
07-15-2004, 12:04
CDR = Crankcase Depression Regulator

It's the 'tuna can' that connects from your oil fill tube to the two ports on either side of the intake manifold.

GMCTD wrote a nice post in the 6.5 forum that details what it is and what it does:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006315

yeti
07-20-2004, 19:48
new question. should i use the plenum on this intake or rig a filter to the top of it?
I figured it wouldn't do me any good to use the plenum without the turbo.

Also would someone be able to give me a link for a drawing of the hose routing for the cdr?
thanks, mike

Dieselboy
07-21-2004, 07:19
For NA engines, you'll want the largest intake diameter that's possible. The turbo plenum isn't big enough for an NA engine, so try and fab something that will work for a big filter. Don't get rid of it though. You never know when a turbo may come your way! :D

yeti
07-21-2004, 13:34
yeah I tried to get one today from a local yard. $100 but it was gone. :(

yeti
07-21-2004, 15:04
putting this much air in there is it safe to say i could turn up the pump? And how would I go about that?

Dieselboy
07-22-2004, 07:20
You may be able to turn up the pump with more air and a larger exhaust. 2.5"-3" duals seems to be the preferred route for NA guys. Stock exhaust just doesn't cut it.

Before tearing into the injection pump, make sure you've got clean hands and the area around the pump is clean as well; something as small as a piece of lint can clog an injector. With the cap of the pump removed and the diesel fuel drained from the bowl, look down through the sight window for the adjustment screw. I've found that it's not necessary to remove any of the pump linkage to access the sight. You will probably have to rotate the engine to get the adjustment screw in the window. Be sure to rotate the engine BY HAND at the flywheel or harmonic balancer. DO NOT touch the starter!

Using a 5/32" Allen wrench, turn the adjusting screw to alter the fuel rate. To increase, turn clockwise; to decrease, turn counter-clockwise. We chose to use a brand new t-handle wrench since the adjustment screw turns tight, and if stripped, then it's a bad day. Banks recommended a 1/4 turn increase, so that's where we chose to start. Depending on your DB2's plunger size and RPM, different adjustments may work better.

yeti
07-22-2004, 16:01
thanks smile.gif