PDA

View Full Version : 1982 rebuild

6.2L Driver
07-13-2004, 16:58
I am rebuilding my 1982 6.2L 4by4 1/2 ton truck. It has 600 000 plus km's on it, so it is all getting redone. Does anyone have any good ideas to add to the truck to make it stick out and look good. Any cool interior ideas too. post some pics if you have any. Thanks

Dieselboy
07-14-2004, 07:03
Interior updates like a 89-91 four spoke steering wheel are nice. New carpet and sound deadener (Dynamat!) make a big difference.

For paint, I went with a late model PPG Indigo, and it worked out well. With the proper body work and smoothing, the metallic paints look sharp on the older style trucks. A 91 grill and trim setup will also set it apart.

Suspension lifts are easy to find and install, so if you want a bigger tire like a 33, then a 2.5" lift would be an easy upgrade and won't disturb your driveline angles and steering too much.

I've got a few photos of my truck on my website. Just click the link in my signature.

Phil Holmen
07-14-2004, 14:41
Depending on what you have planned for your rebuild of your 6.2, you may want to look around for a decent used intake and turbo assembly off of a 92-93 6.5, will get you a little bit more power. I have got access to a couple of wrecked 6.2s and such and I see that you are not really that far away. Feel free to drop me a line, p_holmen (at) hotmail (dot) com. I could even check out for some other used parts if necessary...

Keith Richards
07-14-2004, 17:03
A fresh paint job,a small lift with some nice 33's or 35's and a 14 bolt 10.5 rear end and maybe a dana 60 in the front is a serious recipe for sucess,looks and performance wise.

dieselcrawler
07-14-2004, 19:34
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... for me, I like to see a truck that gets used... Dents, scratches, recovery equipment, bullet proof bumpers, well stocked tool boxes, spare parts, etc. You get the point. Build something that suits your needs... and that you'll be proud to be seen behind the wheel.
I have to agree, I also like the newer headlight/grills out of the '91 Blazer/Subs. 2 small headlights at the top, large turn sig below, just plane sweet lookin'...
Good luck on your rebuild.
Greg

grape
07-14-2004, 22:24
just to keep you guys from throwing money away. I'm sure all of you have your LMC and chevy duty catalogs, but be sure and check you're local gm parts house. I can buy an original GM chrome grill for my '82 for about $225. LMC wants over $350 for the same grill. Same with door panels, I got real excited after winning some NOS on ebay, only to find out I can buy brand new ones for the same price, it's really surprizing.