PDA

View Full Version : commercial version of swanger air???

jbell
07-07-2004, 12:56
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2484040721&category=6155

Hey doc -- check out this intake.. Did someone actually make a commercial version of the 'swanger air'

CleviteKid
07-07-2004, 13:46
Yes, the Ray-Wel system was available around 1992-93, but never sold very well, particularly when the Banks Turbo became available.

I got their literature back then and studied it. I even borrowed their idea for exhaust adapters when I designed mine. But the major thing you got with Ray-Wel was the advice to turn up the injection pump about 1/4 turn. That made much more difference than the little bit of hardware they provided for several hundred dollars.

IIRC, their air filter was only 5" high, compared to 6" in the "Swanger Air" system.

Dr. Lee :cool:

jbell
07-07-2004, 15:34
I should have guessed..... "Often imitated, never equaled."

If I'd known what you do about gm diesels and how to upgrade them, when they came out -- I'd probably been driving them all along. Always been a cummins / perkins fan. Been behind every cummins from a 903 on down to my 6at. Ran my share of 504 and 354t's as well. I was 'taught' the gm diesels were loud underpowered junk -- bottom ends would never hold, head gaskets blow at the sight of the first hill.

However, I can honestly say that I'm having fun with my old 6.2. I just hope my 'need for speed' doesn't end up in a broken or melted down mess before I quit playing with it.

JeepSJ
07-07-2004, 16:24
Also check out...

Ram Air Box (http://www.ramairbox.com/)

jbell
07-07-2004, 18:19
yea, already checked them out. Unless I measured wrong, they don't have anything that fits the 6.2. They would be willing to do a 50 or so unit limited production if there is enough interest.....

Am I off base? Do they have something that fits the 6.2 intake?

NH2112
07-07-2004, 19:47
A friend put a 4BT into an 84 C2500 and what a truck that is! I think I'm going to have to find me a turbo 4.236 or one of the newer 1004s to make something similar with, someday smile.gif I work a lot with both the 3.9BT and 4.236 and think the Perkins might have a slight edge in durability over the Cummins form what I've seen. That, and I think it sounds better too. smile.gif

jbell
07-08-2004, 06:55
Yea, perkins is cool. Grew up with a 3/4 ton '74 international with a swapped in 6.354 perkins with dual exhaust stacks. We used it to pull start a old allis chalmers grader with a huge inline 8 supercharged something... We never had batteries in that thing -- a tow rope, 4WD, and a 1/4 mile got her started every time.

If you're interested in swaps, I know how to get power out of B3.9's and 354's -- still learning how on a 6.2... that's why I'm here. (jamie is actually a good breadtruck 4bt source, as well as having ton's of 6.2 stuff.)

I've always been in the camp to retard timing and go with the lowest possible compression ratio that you can start/idle with to make big power. On a 6.2 it seems that people advance timing, and 19:1 is considered low... (Not sure how you keep from blowing holes in pistons advancing the timing.) As I said -- I'm still learning.

My original plan was a 250hp 4bt in my sub when I bought it -- had no idea I'd find a 6.2 in good shape. (think it might make 250hp one day?)

nape
07-09-2004, 08:37
Dr. Lee,
Do you offer for sale your air cleaner? I am installing a 6.2 with ats turbo set up and it utilizes the factory air cleaner. I would like to find something better and also some kind of exhaust set up. thanks Wayne