PDA

View Full Version : Banks Stinger experiences?

88 K30
05-26-2005, 03:49
Does anyone have any experience with the Stinger exhaust kit from Banks? The turbo system is a little out of my price range right now (of course, once I call about the Stinger, it might be too... :( )

Do any DP advertisers sell the Stinger? I guess I might have to talk to the local shop about just doing a complete system for me.

Of course, I could always buy a box of pipes and bends and practice my welding :D Then again, the whole problem is time, or the lack thereof. A ready to bolt-in system is much prefered. Any thoughts?

POINTERMAN
05-26-2005, 05:24
I put the stinger system on my truck first ,maybe a little over priced but it did come with everything needed to enable you to turn the pump up a little and get a little more out of the engine safely.Well engineered everything fit good .I later added the turbo and that made a considerable difference.

88 K30
05-26-2005, 07:16
Well, I called Banks and they don't even sell the Stinger kit anymore, because there just wasn't enough sales for it. I had hoped it might be my stepping stone to the turbo kit someday. I really would love to add the turbo, but I just don't tow enough anymore to justify it.

Of course, I'm also spending money on one of my toys right now, which means the more I spend on the truck, the less I have for toys. :(

On the other hand, once this particular toy is finished, I'll want plenty of power if I want to tow it to a show. Hmmm, I think I could almost justify it if I keep going with this logic. :D

KEVIN MUNCASTER
05-29-2005, 05:12
They don't sell it anymore ? I bought one for my 86 C10 LWB last summer. The fella told me that they dont keep it in stock on the shelf, but would build it in a matter of days. It took a couple weeks to get to me, but I love every minute of it. The combo of the stinger kit (sounds grrrrreeeaatt) and the air snorkel mod kit, pyrometer and pump adjustment instructions helped me (newbie last year) turn my lazy, choked up, gutless but gorgeous truck into a fun, harder pulling, ear pleasing, fuel sipping, only one like it in town TRUCK ! The kid at the fuel station told me just the other day that he never would have wanted a diesel until he saw this one. He says it's the best lookin' and best SOUNDING truck in town !!! I thought that was quite the compliment for a $2000 farm truck turned road runner !

The Kit cost me $699.00 US, but was worth every cent. I would double check with Banks directly. Call the tech line and ask if they will special order it for you. You'll be very pleased. I know DSG in Saskatoon (diesel page avertiser) has something similar available if you have no luck. If you call them and want to spend a few bucks on something else that is great, buy their dual idler timing kit ! It has improved the running of my motor dramatically. Nothing like perfect timing !

Hope this helps !!

Never gonna drive a gasser again ! :D

opto
06-02-2005, 02:05
Sorry to say but I rellay didn't like my stinger system that came with the turbo that much.
Didn't fit very good. Just friday I threw out half of the system and made a straight system without muffler. That is great, the exaust temperature almost never reaches above 700 degrees and I have never got it above 950 even though I have tried.
Sometimes, though, it can seem a bit loud so I will probably put in a full flow muffler in the future, but what a great sound.... :D