PDA

View Full Version : Diesel in a oil filter

coxfmly
05-22-2005, 20:13
Hello, I had told my mechanic to change out my fuel filter. he installed my spare oil filter in place of my fuel filter. He noticed the error after the fuel had poured through the element.
Since the filter is $15 I wanted it replaced. He said the diesel that was in the oil filter wouldn't harm it so he said to use it for my engine. what do you guys think ?

john8662
05-22-2005, 20:25
It will act as a cleaner in the engine, and will slightly dilute the oil. An AC Delco oil filter is around $3.50. I'd replace if for peace of mind. But I don't think you'll hurt anything.

4x4Dreamer
05-23-2005, 03:28
If he'd put more in, you'd probably find that it would clean your oil passages and your filter would be good and nasty at your next change.

(on a side note)I have a friend who's an old GM mechanic who used to put a quart of ATF in his engine every once in a while to clean everything out. I just tried it in my wife's Kia and it worked like a charm. )

jcomp
05-23-2005, 19:14
I contacted Wix about using a lube filter for diesel fuel. According to them, the diesel fuel will destroy the element. I'd throw it away and not risk having chunks of filter media plugging my oil system.