PDA

View Full Version : where is the rope?

doncannon
06-24-2004, 18:57
Hello all,
Where is the rope seal (location) that needs replaced when installing the turbo?
Thanks to all,
Don Cannon

DmaxMaverick
06-24-2004, 19:36
Rear main seal.

doncannon
06-24-2004, 19:46
Thanks Dmax,
I thought that is where it was. Do they have any upgrades from the rope?
Don

john8662
06-25-2004, 06:01
I think that your truck being an 87 you wouldn't have rope oil seal. I think that it was the Pre 85 models that had the rope. At any rate, should you find you have a rope rear main seal, they make a rubber replacement seal, that is much easier to install (no trimming and such). Is your rear main seal leaking now? If so, then you're doing yourself a favor replacing it before installing the turbo. If its bone dry, then you could go ahead and put the turbo on, and not have a problem.

I am going to be putting a used banks on my 86 6.2L, but my rear main is leaking, so I'll be going down that route as well. But being a two piece rear main seal, its not too bad, just drop the pan remove rear main bearing cap, pull the seals out. Put it all back together, torqueing everything to spec.

doncannon
06-25-2004, 09:46
Thank you all,

John they said it is a 2 piece rear main. I will go and see if it is leaking. I'll take off the dust cover between the engine and trans then that should tell me if it is leaking right?

Don tongue.gif

john8662
06-25-2004, 10:22
Don,

That would be a good place to look, a little seepage covered in some dust can be normal, but thats a little and not really wet. On the other hand if you're leaving spots on the driveway, then you'll know its time.

jcomp
06-25-2004, 14:02
FYI: My rear main did not leak until I installed the turbo. I would put the turbo on and then see what happens.

Just curious, are you doing the head gaskets as part of your turbo installation? My 210K mile engine blew a head gasket 700 miles after I installed the turbo. The repair for that avalanched into my new engine. Good for me, bad for the bank account. smile.gif

catmandoo
06-25-2004, 15:54
also if you do the rear seal put the lip forward.

doncannon
06-27-2004, 09:32
Thanks guys,

John I did not see any leakage when I checked around the oil pan and in the dust cover (maybe a teaspoon) so I will install the dust cover tomorrow.

jcomp I was not planning on installing the head gaskets yet (at least not till they go) because I would like to have an extra set of heads redone to minimize my trucks down time. I will do a compression check in the next few days to check its vitals, but I am not planning on a rebuild either. Just trying to take it easy on the bank account. ;)

catman Thank you for the advise definitely a good tip. smile.gif

thanks again,
Don Cannon