PDA

View Full Version : 'X' Device found!

Cowracer
07-12-2004, 06:34
OR: FUN WITH THE IAT PROBE!

Many months ago, I posted a topic about an intermitant loss of power. Some days the truck ran MUCH better than others. No pattern of fuel quality, ambient temps, phase of the moon, or anything else could be found to be causing this. I was convinced that somewhere, some sensor (I termed it the 'x' device) was detuning my truck for whatever reason.

Last week, my truck was an absolute pig towing my boat. This weekend, I started checking things. I eventually removed my intake air temp sensor (IAT) and it was coked up SOLID! The IAT was a solid lump of charcoal, and by the looks of it, has been for some time. I am assuming that the 'themal mass' of the crud on the sensor was really messing with its operation. I ran down to the parts store and got another one post haste.

I started playing around with the new one and found that it reads about 7k ohms when frozen, about 4.5K ohms at 36 degrees and around 2K ohms at 180 degrees. This got me to experimenting...

I wired in a 10K ohm rheostat into the normal IAT sensor plug and ran the wires with the rheostat into the cab. When dialed down to a low ohm setting, the truck made noticeably less power. EGT's were quite a bit higher (due to having to work the engine harder?). When dialed up to a higher ohm setting, the engine brightend up considerably and EGT's dropped somewhat.

Now I know that high IAT's will cause the computer to defuel the motor. But the smoke out of the tailpipe (before the turbo spooled up) appeared to be the same either way. Not a scientific test but still curious anyway. One would think that with less fuel, there would some change in smoke.

Is it possible that the computer adjusts timing based off the IAT?

At any rate, the truck seems to have 'consistant' levels of power now. This makes me happy.

Tim

curmudge1
07-12-2004, 08:10
Any chance you got some digital pics you could show us? And, where is this IAT thingy? Is it easy to get at to inspect? About how much $$ for the part?
Thanks.

David Strom
'94 Blazer 6.5TD, 237K miles.

Cowracer
07-12-2004, 09:57
Too late for the pics, I kinda broke the old one trying to clean it out. It is directly on top of the upper intake manafold. It is the brass, screw in fitting.

http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/76882.jpg
I attached a pic I downloaded off the Napa site. The housing at the end (upper right on picture) was completly encrusted in crud.

I bought a bunch of other stuff at the same time I bought the IAT sensor, and to tell the truth I really didnt pay attention to how much it cost. I think it was $29.99

Journeydog
07-12-2004, 12:26
Looks like the NAPA part is an AC Delco, since they're the same picture. As far as the sensor output effecting timing, here's what the factory manual says:

Intake Air Temperature (IAT) is used by the PCM to adjust fuel delivery and spark timing according to incoming air density.

That sparky engine must have been the one that GM left on the drawing board. tongue.gif

According to the temperature vs resistance values chart, it looks like about a 3K resistor will simulate approx. 70F. I might try this, since I've noticed that my engine loves to run with lots of pep when it's warming up, but when it has been running at normal hot for awhile, it looses that gusto. Of course, the engine environment is now hot, so it figures that the IAT sensor sees it and feeds that info to the PCM and fuel delivery is probably cut back. Fun experiment can be had here, with possible good results. Thanks for the info!

Cowracer
07-13-2004, 14:02
Dog-

Keep an eye on the guages! And keep us posted on any results you might have.

Tim

markrinker
07-14-2004, 08:15
Yesterday's temps were in the high 80's, and I noticed the same thing with truck #2. Am pulling this Saturday afternoon and it looks to be a warm one.

Should I wire in a 3K ohm resistor for the pull?

Cowracer
07-14-2004, 09:37
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
Yesterday's temps were in the high 80's, and I noticed the same thing with truck #2. Am pulling this Saturday afternoon and it looks to be a warm one.

Should I wire in a 3K ohm resistor for the pull? Mark,

I'd hate to say yes and have it wind up hurting your engine, so I will say this. I am still playing with my rheostat on the IAT probe wires. I have had it set to 4K ohms all week. Temps in St. Louis are in the 90's.

My truck has shown no ill effects all week, and power drop-off has been almost non-existant. (I noticed a SLIGHT decrease in seat-of-pants power yesterday afternoon with a ambient temp of 96. I imagne most engines would loose power at that point).

If you decied to try it, then just unplug the sensor and insert the resistor leads into the connector. A wrap of electrical tape is a good idea as well. Keep an eye on the gauges, and if worse comes to worse, its a 1 minute job to pull the resistor and re-connect the IAT sensor.

I have yet to pull anything with my rheostat in place, I am curios how it would work out. Please let me know your results!

Tim

AndyL
07-14-2004, 12:21
As with any modern main stream production engine the engineers design a modest level of protection into engine control module. These "modest" levels are to ensure long happy engine life. IMHO bypassing or offseting the IAT may cause accelerated engine wear and maybe even piston melt down during heavy towing situations.

If you ask me the IAT and EGT are almost equally important.

Cowracer
07-14-2004, 12:57
Originally posted by AndyL:
As with any modern main stream production engine the engineers design a modest level of protection into engine control module. These "modest" levels are to ensure long happy engine life. IMHO bypassing or offseting the IAT may cause accelerated engine wear and maybe even piston melt down during heavy towing situations.
True dat! But I trust my Isspro Pyrometer and a cautious eye a lot more than I trust a GM reliability engineer.

To me, if the EGT's are right, the the IAT's have to be right as well.

I am not advocating anyone to bypass anything GM had done unless they are willing to run the risk of major engine failure. I love to mess with things, sometimes they mess back. I can deal with it.

Tim

markrinker
07-14-2004, 13:04
I just added "Radio Shack - resistors" on my to-do list. ;)

tom.mcinerney
07-14-2004, 17:11
Good work!

AndyL
07-14-2004, 18:28
Is this what we call the "Resistor Intercooler"? :D