PDA

View Full Version : Is this Racor filter appropriate for my 6.2??

mdregister
05-13-2005, 15:22
My model 80 filter assembly is leaking again, despite being practically dunked in sealant.

Is this Racor filter asse=mbly appropriate for my 6.2 or is it overkill?? Keep in mind, I will soon be in Montana where the winters are very cold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7974562504&category=33660

Thanks!

NH2112
05-13-2005, 16:51
That's a good filter for a 6.2l, it's similar to my 445 but with a much bigger R120 element and more ports on the head. The fuel heater may come in handy, mine doesn't have one and I haven't had any problems with fuel gelling although it does get colder in MN. You may want to service it with R45 or R60 elements because there's not much room under the hood of an 85 for the huge R120 element. I just got a case of 6 R90S elements from the same seller for $60, which is approximately 1/3 retail cost. They're still a little big but for 60% off retail I'll move heater hoses when it's time to change the filter. :D

mdregister
05-14-2005, 07:56
Thanks for the reply, I noticed the filter housing is described as having a hand-pump primer, which of course I do not need. Will the filter prime ok with feed from the mechanical pump on my truck?

Will this filter be ok on the pressure side of the pump? or would the vacuum side be a better choice??

NH2112
05-14-2005, 08:58
I have mine mounted on the pressure side, but according to the specs I read before buying it, it can be used in either spot. A diaphragm pump is pretty much bulletproof so I personally wouldn't worry about putting a filter in front of it. Although if you do, there's a nice flat spot under the air intake on the radiator support where you could mount it - that's where my Model 80 primary resides right now. The hand primer is nice, you simply open the bleeder screw and pump till fuel comes out. No more unhooking the pink wire and cranking till fuel squirts out. If you don't put the bowl on and fill it with clean fuel before installing, you'll do a lot of pumping to fill that element, though!

What element size will you be running? Whether this will be your sole filter or a secondary, I'd recommend 2 micron (filter elements ending in S, i.e., R120S, R45S, etc) for the best protection, although the 2-micron filters will clog up faster. There are always case lots of these types of filters on eBay, so save lots of money and shop there.

aloharovers
05-15-2005, 14:31
I am using the R60 element, but otherwise its the same thing. I don't know if its ever been cold enough, but I like the security of the bowl heater. I have only had the truck down to 20*. We will see next winter here in CO.
I am running a dual set up, the 10 micron unit with the heater, then the pump, then the 2 micron unit. Probably overkill, but at the time I thought it was a good idea smile.gif

Pete

aloharovers
05-15-2005, 14:56
Originally posted by NH2112:
I just got a case of 6 R90S elements from the same seller for $60, which is approximately 1/3 retail cost. And he is selling the 90's for half the price of the 60's. I will have to look at repositioning my filters. Too good of a deal to pass on.

opto
06-21-2005, 09:53
Is 10 micron filter good enough or would it be wise to put a 5 micron filter inkine after?

NH2112
06-21-2005, 15:28
I'd run a 2-micron secondary filter, volumes have been written about damage to injection systems caused by particles that get through coarse filters. When you figure that filters have a percentage rating as to what percentage of x-sized particles they'll trap, it's obvious that a 2-micron filter with an efficiency of 90% is catching stuff that a 5-micron with 97% efficiency lets through.

opto
06-30-2005, 01:25
What is the micron rating for the OEM filter?? just to compare...