PDA

View Full Version : Rear Disc Brake conversion for 85 C10

befland
06-15-2004, 13:58
Is there a way to search the forum to see if this topic has been covered before? I want to convert a 1985 1/2 ton, 2WD to rear disc brakes. I see many kits available but I was wondering if I could get parts from a junkyard for the conversion. I would really like to find something that has the built in emergency brake.

grape
06-15-2004, 18:26
'77 eldorado rear calipers have the built in parking brake.

rwpierce
06-15-2004, 19:02
If you look at readers rigs, Ron Pierce's 84 Chevy you will see my truck that I put a Dynatrac rearend with disc brakes in.I called them and told them exactly what I had for suppension and what width I wanted the rearend to be,same as front as the rear is about 3 inches narrower.They built a Dana 60 nodular iron housing with 3 " tubes 3/8" thick.It has Trutrac positraction and special alloy 35 spline axials with large bearings and races. The axials are held in with a retainer flange,not C-clips.The disc are that my emergency brake cables hooked right up to them.I did not use a porportioning valve for the brakes.After installing and trying the brakes out with several panic stops I felt it was braking just right.DynaTrac built and shipped this rearend to Wyoming for $2800. They also build it with 5,6,8 lugs and different bolt patterns. They also offer disc brake conversion kits. I had real good service and technical support from them.It is one of very few that will actually return calls promptly

catmandoo
06-16-2004, 04:31
grape is on the right track,eldo's and toro's,but not all of em had rear disc,it was an option ,also into the 80's they still came with em,weather they had em is another story my friends dad has an 80 toro with them and i had an 81 thAT didn't so ya have to check,but for actually bolting up to the axle tube the older stuff is probably the best bet.i also had an 80 trans am that had the rear disc.i was always gonna convert my 66 chevelle to rear disc but decided to keep it original

Dieselboy
06-16-2004, 10:48
While the Cadillac calipers do contain provision for a parking brake, I doubt that you'll be happy with their performance.

Many blazer guys use these on their trucks, and find that not only are they difficult to adjust, they don't hold the weight of the truck on an incline.

We had these calipers on my mother's old Cadillac, and we could never get them adjusted right.

I think that Stainless Steel Brakes has a kit.
http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/

catmandoo
06-16-2004, 12:20
dieselboy,yeah they were a pain in the butt and you bring up a good point,weight ,they aren't the biggest brakes in the world and they are probably best left on the cars.best bet might be a wrecked newer truck with rear discs one that you could steal the parts off,but then its anti-lock crap and who knows what else.i'd probably s#*t can the idea and leave it drum.

befland
06-22-2004, 05:33
Yes Dieselboy...I've seen the set from Stainlesssteelbrakes. That is a NICE setup. I've found several companies that sell a conversion kit but all seem to be in the $650-$750 range. I've also seen some brackets on some of the auction sites for sale to do the conversion but you scrounge your own parts. Will a complete rearend with axels and brakes out of a later model truck work with the earlier body style? I realize this would be no cheaper but I had also planned to change the rearend gearing to a 3:73.

Dieselboy
06-22-2004, 05:55
While I don't have first hand knowledge of anybody swapping out for a late model axle or adapting the disc brakes to an older axle, I can say this: u-joints, parking brake cables, and brake lines are some parts that are fairly universal and easily adaptable.

I think that in true Chevy form, the axle would bolt in, the u-joints would match, the parking brake cables would require minimal fabbing to work, and the brake lines would hook up at the junction in the middle of the hardline - providing the threads are the same.

Even if it doesn't bolt up, the extra effort is well worth having factory disc brakes, a factory parking brake that works well, plus you might get some better gears.

I say be a pioneer and go for it. Shop around the local boneyards; you'll find what you're looking for. When gmctd and I went junkyarding in Houston, we found several disc brake late model rear ends, so they're out and people are wrecking them.

:cool:

befland
06-22-2004, 07:09
Thanks David...I think you've about talked me in to it! I'll do some checking and see what I come up with!

dieselcrawler
06-22-2004, 08:02
I'm only guessing on this, but I think the most major problem you'll run into swaping a newer rearend into an older truck is the width of the spring perches. I beleive the newer trucks (88-up) had a wider frame, wich might mean wider springs. If you are good with a grinder and welder, moving spring perches shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you get the rotation of the rear end right, so your universal joints don't hate you for life...
If you don't need an e-brake, I've heard of useing a 1/2 or 3/4 ton 4wd front caliper on the rearend. I plan to use this set up on my 14FF in my woods truck. I will be using a hyd line lock for hill holding power, and I also run a auto trans, so I'll have 'park'.
Good luck with your project... don't afraid to try something new, work out the bugs, and then brag to us about it... we'd like to hear how it turns out.
Greg