PDA

View Full Version : stupid question.. pump timing

farmerpatrick
02-20-2004, 15:44
Ok, never had a diesel before, new to the page, but I have read all the posts and references I can find on the subject. I kinda need someone to break it down to me barney-style.
The problem is the truck just started smoking (black) at anything except idle or light throttle. It was kind of a sudden affair, so I am suspecting something with the injection pump. First. How do you check the timing? I know how to check the timing on a gas engine. Exactly how do you know if the timing is advanced or retarded? What about the fuel metering screw.
I don't think this truck has much power, but I'm not really concerned. I don't drive fast, I'm not currently towing, and I don't off-road. Power isn't really an issue to me. I just want it to run efficiently and reliably for years to come. The water temp stays at about 210 once warm. Truck cranks right up, glow plugs working fine, runs fine, no real significant problems that I know of other than the sudden smoking. Truck is stock intake and exhaust, but like I said this just started yesterday. I've only had the truck 1 week and driven 450 miles.
Please help with this smoking issue. I know there are tons of posts regarding this and info in the reference section, but like I said I'm still kind of lost as to where to start with diagnosing this problem and fixing it. I try not to buy unneeded parts without diagnosing the exact culprit first.
Anyways,
Patrick Davis

Peter J. Bierman
02-22-2004, 08:40
To check your timing you need some equipment but to keep it simple, if you have not have a diesel
"rattle" your timing is too retarded, cousing black smoke and high temps.
No rattle is not good and you should have your timing checked.
Timing is not known to retard a lot overnight unless your timingchain has so much slack that it slipped and is now one or more teeth off.
One other possibility is that your airfilter or intake is plugged, check you airfilter first, lack off fresh air couses smoke too.

Good luck,

Peter

farmerpatrick
02-22-2004, 15:13
I put a new air filter in it when I bought it, the old one was plugged up pretty bad. The intake is free of restrictions, other than the normal poor intake design. The truck does have the diesel "rattle". And it's not smoking except when you apply a decent amount of throttle. I thought that the temperature issue was due to a pretty clogged up radiator (from visual inspection) but I can take care of that without paying a mechanic to fix overheating problems. I'll definitely try to just find someone who knows 6.2's to check the timing and adjust it if necessary. Does anyone know of an article or link to a good timing procedure for 6.2 injection pump. I may just tackle this myself and learn through mistakes and money which is usually how this all goes. I'm getting out of the Marine Corps soon and I'm going to need a vehicle that runs pretty consistently at least 5 days a week. Maybe I just start my diesel education now the greasy way.
Thanks Peter for the input.
Patrick Davis
BTW 8 Days and I will be out of the Marine Corps.

farmerpatrick
02-24-2004, 12:46
For an update on this problem check out my post "dealing with the mechanic"

Clay Folk
02-28-2004, 17:03
I just got out about 8 days ago. Well, my terminal started. 15 Apr is my EAS.

farmerpatrick
02-29-2004, 10:11
What unit were you in? I was in 2/8 then I got bumped around, first to 2/2 then to 1/8. Friday I go on terminal.