PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start. Starts. Now belt screetch

shamanie
02-17-2004, 21:08
Running real well. In fact, I put some mobil 1 truck and suv for diesels in, as it had been run on delo 400, and it has run better then ever.

I stop to get the mail and when I get back she turns over but won't start. It doesn't feel like she is getting full juice. The longer I turn the less she has. Just kinda chugs. I let her sit for a few minutes. I checked all connections, fuel lines, battery, and everything looked ok. She finally turned over and heard a real bad belt screetch. She will typically have the screetch only when the engine is cold(I assume that is somewhat normal?).

Background: Happened about 2 weeks ago. Same thing. Got her running and all was well. I had checked the belt that is connected to what I think is the alternator. It looks a little floppy. It has an intermittent floppyness. If I am looking at the engine bay it is the belt connected to the component on the left.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Oh, when I am on the road, the charge guage is to the right of center. Way right really. When I start it up the needle is just to the left of center.

By the way. I know this may seem like an asinine question, but where is the fuel pump located. Do I remove the air filter? Is it located back underneath that area? Pic of general area would be great.

Thanks
<Newbe>

crew84
02-18-2004, 17:38
If you have the 6.2 with the V-belt alternator it is famous for belt slip. Thus your batteries are not getting charged causing a hard start because it slows the starter. Put on a Gates or GM belt and tighten it real tight. There are different methods that are used for checking belt tightness. One is pushing down the belt on the top at the halfway point between the pulleys with your thumb. If you have a straight edge on top of the belt touching the two pulleys the deflection should not be more than 1/4"- 1/2". You do not want the belt to slip at all or you might as well throw it away and get another. After-market belts are a waste of time because they will loosen and slip.
Your fuel pump, if stock, is low next to the frame under the alternator side.

catmandoo
02-18-2004, 18:13
i usually just grab the fan blades on the alternator and if you can turn by hand it's too loose.

shamanie
02-19-2004, 16:01
Originally posted by crew84:
If you have the 6.2 with the V-belt alternator it is famous for belt slip. Thus your batteries are not getting charged causing a hard start because it slows the starter. Put on a Gates or GM belt and tighten it real tight. There are different methods that are used for checking belt tightness. One is pushing down the belt on the top at the halfway point between the pulleys with your thumb. If you have a straight edge on top of the belt touching the two pulleys the deflection should not be more than 1/4"- 1/2". You do not want the belt to slip at all or you might as well throw it away and get another. After-market belts are a waste of time because they will loosen and slip.
Your fuel pump, if stock, is low next to the frame under the alternator side. I tightened down the belt with all of my might. Feels pretty tight, as I could see the alternator move back around a 1/2" or so. Will let you know how it turns out.

Started up real well yesterday. Sometimes I will have to feed it some throttle for the first few seconds to keep it going but that was not the case yesterday.(Comments?)

Found the feul pump. (Leaping into the air!)
I do not have the stock pump. I am not sure which model it is though as there are no, that I can see, distinguishing marks or model numbers. Would like to know though. The invoice from the previous replacement says something about a turbo pump but that was about it.

Thanks for the help guys.