PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil cooler

arveetek
05-02-2005, 07:28
I'm wanting to eliminate the factory engine oil cooler that is in the radiator, and go with a B&M 28,000 GVWR oil cooler in its place. I'm worried about the factory cooler leaking and mixing the engine oil and coolant together. Plus, it would simplify things to have a separate cooler. I'm already using 1/2" industrial hydrualic hoses as oil cooler lines, and the B&M cooler comes with 1/2" NPT threads, so hookup would be a snap.

Is there any problem with elminating the factory cooler? Would I have problems with overcooling the oil in the wintertime? I'm in Southern Missouri, so it doesn't get too cold, but does drop down to 0 now and then. I usually cover the aux. tranny cooler in the wintertime so that the tranny fluid doesn't get too cold...I could do the same with the engine oil.

Casey

BobND
05-02-2005, 08:17
I have a 1988 K-20 with a 6.2 and a 1995 K-10 with a 6.5TD, and BOTH have factory engine oil coolers ahead of the radiator, and NO cooler in the radiator.

No problems at 25 below zero.

There is a bypass valve in the engine block that opens when the cooler circuit is restricted (cold oil), and allows the oil to bypass the cooler.

arveetek
05-02-2005, 12:18
Okay! Cool! ;)

Thanks for the info!

Casey

NH2112
05-02-2005, 13:11
Just run the cooler line through a thermostat, this will block 90% of the oil till it reaches 170F and let the oil warm up before being routed through the cooler.

odee
05-03-2005, 11:01
so is this aftermarket cooler going to be big enough for the engine? I to have considered doing this same thing but couldn't get a good answer on my choice of coolers.

BobND
05-03-2005, 12:47
Have you seen the feature article on this, showing a size comparison between the original and replacement coolers?

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/dsgoilcooler.htm

arveetek
05-04-2005, 12:23
As far as the B&M cooler being big enough, it has to be a substantial improvement over the stock cooler that came with the 6.2L diesel in 1982. That radiator cooler is pretty pathetic, with just a small loop through the already heated engine coolant.

GM made an improvement in the later trucks, going with a separate cooler in front of the radiator. That DSG cooler is awesome, but I'm not ready to spend $500 plus on an engine cooler, when a $60 B&M cooler is already a pretty good upgrade!

Casey