PDA

View Full Version : cam bearings and push rods

odee
05-01-2005, 18:17
started checking bottom end clearances on my rebuild and putting the cam bearings in. My factory shop manual calls for one way both of my spare blocks of same vintage and casting have the hole in a differnt location than what the book calls for on the front and rear bearings. The bores are groved on all the blocks in the center of the bearing bore. So would it matter where the hole is on the front and rear as long as the main hole is lined up with the main bearing hole? What about the push rods are they marked for the rocker end?

john8662
05-01-2005, 22:26
I can't answer your questions on the cam bearings, as I haven't done them myself before, but rather let the machine shop install em. But for the push rods, you will install them with the painted end facing up. If there wasn't a painted end you would have had to take note of the orientation on removal. Because one end of the pushrod is hardened on the rocker end.

Robyn
05-02-2005, 05:06
The cam bearings will get oil just fine oif the bores have a groove all the way around but if the book says to orient the oil hole in a particular way do it and sleep nights knowing you followed factory procedure. :D I have in my many years or wrenching found many strange anomalies when it comers to things and always do it like the factory did it unless I had real good reason to do otherwise.
Good luck on your build.

odee
05-02-2005, 12:37
thanks guys I'm fixing to go out and put the final bearing in on the cam bore. I will have to take a close look at the pushrods. All of the engines I have bought for parts have been broken down to parts when I bought them.