PDA

View Full Version : no go 6.2L

wfopete
12-17-2004, 02:27
Hey guys:

Long time-no post since I was deployed to Iraq. I'm due to return home soon. While home on R&R, last summer I took my 82 6.2L van for about a 2 hour drive. Ran fine. The next norning I started it, reved it up a couple of times and let it idle. After about 1 min. of idling it stalled. Sounded just like it did when the mech fuel pump died in it less than a year ago. You know, it gain RPMs slightly before starving out for fuel. It would not restart. Anyway, I didn't have time to mess with it then. The problem is likely the fuel pump again but I was wondering about the in tank filter (sock)? Is that sock a problem waiting to happen?, if so can I/should I replace it?

john8662
12-17-2004, 08:15
Welcome Back!

Everytime a dying problem occurs I think to check for air in the system. Do you have any diesel leaks on the engine? Usually a leaking throttle shaft can allow air into the injection pump and cause hard starting as well as problems dying when cold.

Another thing comes to mind recently with a dying problem that turned out to be a small thing. The fuel return valve on the injection pump was plugged causing housing pressure to be too high and giving running problems. Here is the post, though I'd just recommend replacing it, there is supposed to be a glass ball inside.

Electrical Problems by Nape (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003259)

You could also be right about the fuel pump, especially not wanting to start up again I don't know from experience about the sock in the tank though.

First things first though, replace fuel filters (and make sure you're getting fuel). You'll have two filters on that van, a primary and a secondary filter. The secondary is under the dog house and is a smaller square filter, I'd start here first. When bleeding the air out of the filter you will disconnect the ignition wire on the injection pump, then crank over the engine. If your lift pump is working you'll be able to bleed the air out of the filter and get fuel running out of the drain petcock.

wfopete
12-18-2004, 01:03
Ok,here is a question. Is the "lift pump" the same thing as the mechanicail fuel pump that is mounted on the engine block?

britannic
12-18-2004, 09:09
Yes :D !!

Originally posted by wfopete:
Ok,here is a question. Is the "lift pump" the same thing as the mechanicail fuel pump that is mounted on the engine block?

ZZ
01-04-2005, 21:01
I had this problem last winter on my '90. It was a loose hose clamp on the fuel line connected to the small hand valve next to the "gooseneck" or upper radiator hose outlet. Air would leak in overnight and the fuel would run back to the tank. It was like it would have to re-prime itself everyday.