PDA

View Full Version : Keeping EGTs down

waorth
02-12-2004, 15:21
Hi all

I'm in the process to give my 1984 6.2 M1008 a birthday present and installing 4911 pump, high output 6.5l injectors and a gear drive.

A matching exhaust system (custom build dual 3" including pyrometer) however cannot be realized until next year.

Reading all about EGTs I understand that to much/unburned fuel will rise exhaust temperatures.

Because of the warranty, turning down the fuel at the pump is not an option. So timing could be the magic word.
My plans are to set the new pump directly on the static timing mark on the front cover. Do you think I should advance the timing to compensate the gear drive?
Before the exhaust and air intake modifications are'nt done, I just want to make sure not running to high EGTs.

Thanks in advance.

Walter

C.K. Piquup
02-12-2004, 17:50
Are you using a pyrometer?If not,you should.You can not only use it to monitor EGT,but also use it to help find that sweet spot.I think it is the increased amount of fuel burned that causes EGT to rise.Good Luck

arveetek
02-13-2004, 06:11
I agree that getting a pyrometer (EGT guage) is the next step. Are you turbocharged or n/a? If turbo, a pyro is a MUST. If n/a, I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've never heard of an n/a having problems from excessive EGT's. I regularly run my n/a 6.2L at 1300 degrees all day, sometimes spiking above 1400 degrees, when towing my fifth-wheel. Max EGT for a turbo 6.2L, though, is 1100 degrees.

Casey

dieseldummy
02-13-2004, 15:59
Why wouldn't egt's be as critical for a n/a 6.2? I was under the impression that once the temp. in the combustion chamber got so high, it would start melting things, hence the 1100-1150 for the 6.2. Am i wrong about this?

Justin

diesel65
02-13-2004, 18:02
My biggest concern is that using a 4911 pump in a N/A motor, The 4911 pump was setup for the 6.5 with a turbo.
You need to install an exhaust temp guage to make sure your not over fueling the motor.

waorth
02-14-2004, 04:56
Thanks a lot for your answers, they are a big help (as the DP is always smile.gif )

Engine is 6.2l N/A (stock CUCV, J-intake, high nickel)

As mentioned, a new exhaust system with pyrometer is already part of the modifications for the end of the year.
Reading your tips however, I think I should install a pyro right now.
Is it okay to install the sender with the exhaust on the truck? I don't want to put that 5 year old rusted system apart and together again only months away from replacement. So the best place for me to install would be approximately 11" down the exhaust manifold on the drivers side. Can I expect reliable measurements from there?

What should be the temps with the 4911 pump and high pop injectors under
a) normal driving
b) heavy load/trailer pulling/uphill

Thanks again for your support.

Walter

C.K. Piquup
02-14-2004, 05:25
It will vary based on load,amount of throttle,and incline.Put the pyro on and your question will be answered.The closer the better,but 11" should be fine.I can`t imagine it would be cooled much.We`re talking increments of 100*,mostly.In the turbo trucks many recommend the cross-over pipe so...