PDA

View Full Version : Question to Britannic

Ratau
02-10-2004, 23:13
Britannic

What type and make off timing light will be a good choice? I will check what I can find in the local shops otherwise I will look at importing one.

Peter Bierman wrote: "I think Britannic has one on sale, so ask him."

Could you explain how the one works with the pickup in the glow-plug hole.

Do you know off a engine repair manual for the 6.2 on CD or Adobe reader pdf file to download? I tried to download the logsa files from the HMMWV publications site, it was downloading so slow that it gave me a time out signal.

britannic
02-11-2004, 08:08
Originally posted by Ratau:
Britannic

What type and make off timing light will be a good choice? I will check what I can find in the local shops otherwise I will look at importing one.

Peter Bierman wrote: "I think Britannic has one on sale, so ask him."

Could you explain how the one works with the pickup in the glow-plug hole.

Do you know off a engine repair manual for the 6.2 on CD or Adobe reader pdf file to download? I tried to download the logsa files from the HMMWV publications site, it was downloading so slow that it gave me a time out signal. Timing tools (not inclusive):

SnapOn
MT254 (allows use of conventional timing light)
MT480 mag/lumy pickup analog meter
MT1480 mag/lumy pickup digital meter

Rotunda
070-0100 mag/lumy pickup digital meter

The lumy (luminescent) pick up is screwed into the glowplug port and detects the combustion flash. The magnetic pickup detects crankshaft rotation. A computer in the meter uses a preset offset to calculate the difference in the 2 signals and display them in degrees and rpm on the readouts. The offset allows for using different/more convenient cylinders for the lumy probe. The older MT480 meter can only use 2 cylinders (it may be possible to hand calculate for one or two others).

There are other adapters/meters that can use a pulse pickup on the #1 injector line, to save removing a glowplug.

Ebay regularly has CDs with the .pdf files for download under CUCV listings. To save you money, find a friend with high speed access and a CD burner.

Ratau
02-13-2004, 01:04
Britannic

In one off the topics was mentioned about the pulse from the injector pipe and the lumy that detects the combustion flash. Wont the lumy type be the first choice, as you said in your replies timing is critical. I expect a fractional difference between the two types. Do these meters also work with a strobe light like the gas engine ones?

What should the dynamic timing be and how do you measure if you talking about TDC 1400 to 2000 rpm?

Do you have a meter for sale?

I asked around and it seem diesel timing meters are not so easy to get hold off in SA. Could you give me a guideline on how much to pay for these meters new and used.

Thanks for the help, I learn every day as I go along with the forum.

britannic
02-13-2004, 07:05
I've never seen any published data on lumy vs. pulse pickups that shows there's a difference. Hopefully it's so small that it falls within the permitted timing tolerance. In any case, I used my meter to set the engine to spec, then fine tuned using the seat of the pants method :D .

A good meter is fetching $175.00 upwards these days. I have an MT480 for sale, but it needs a new magnetic pickup.

Ratau
02-15-2004, 22:30
Do you know if the magnetic pickup is still available and would you be able to find one? If you are willing to go trough the trouble to ship the MT480 to Pretoria please mail me at: glassblow@necsa.co.za with your detail and the charge to find it a new home.

Danie