PDA

View Full Version : TRANS FIT

nape
02-10-2004, 19:36
I need a trans for my 90 Sub., I can find plenty of pull outs from gas burners, will they work behind my 6.2? I know about the torque converter what else will I encounter? Nape

arveetek
02-11-2004, 07:30
I've been running a used gasser 700R4 behind my 6.2L for around a 100K miles with no problems. The TC will have a slighter higher stall speed, and the governor will make it shift later than the stock factory diesel tranny. I actually prefer the higher stall speed and later shifts, makes the 6.2L wake up, it seems like. The factory 6.2L/700 combos I've driven shifted way too soon for my tastes, and they really bog the engine down making it feel gutless.

You can swap governors really easy if you want to. They're around $25. I've heard that there are differences in the valve bodies as well, but I'm not sure. But the TC's and governors are definitely different, but that doesn't mean they have to be changed.

Casey

john8662
02-11-2004, 07:57
Word to the wise on the govenors though, I had a 91 burb with a 6.2 in it at one time. I blew the trans (typical 700R Junk) and had a local shop rebuild one and install it. They put the wrong govenor in it, one for a gasser. The problem was that it let the engine rev too high, You could floor it from a start and it would just sit and rev up before it would ever shift to 2nd because the engine speed would govern at 4100 rpm. So it appeared the trans wouldn't shift till you let off the go petal. So I would be cautious with the gasser governor.

There are several companies that advertise on the net that offer rebuilds for the 700, most don't charge any more for building one up for a diesel.

britannic
02-11-2004, 08:27
Under no circumstances attempt to tune the TV cable on the 700R4. Always use a pressure gauge in the system pressure port and set the cable as per GM's instructions - not doing this properly has let to tansmissions early destruction and bad name that GM acquired . Shift points need to be set using the governor and if necessary changes to the port and valve sizes in the body. To use the 700R4 with a hot 6.2L, get it built with all of the upgraded hardware to handle the torque.

arveetek
02-11-2004, 14:50
John,

I had the same problem once too. I bought an '86 Suburban with a rebuilt 700, and it wouldn't shift into overdrive unless you were doing at least 55 mph, and all of the shifts were way too late.

Turns out the shop installed a V6 gasser governor. Way wrong! Installed the diesel governor, and I thought it shifted way too soon.

Not sure which governor is in mine, but I'm assuming it's a gas V8 governor. I don't know how many different governors there are, but there's at least three! I've even seen kits where you can customize the governor yourself with removable weights.

Casey

britannic
02-11-2004, 19:38
You can also get governor springs (different colors for different weights) that will allow the shift points to be adjusted.