PDA

View Full Version : U Know they're good When S**t hits the Fan

Thermal Jock
12-14-2004, 18:32
Months ago I wrote about dropping a 6.5 in my Suburban. The trade I worked out didn't happen, and then my property sold, so the engine idea was forgotten.

Then I heard and intermittent tick I couldn't place in the lower end. Sure enough, it was a bad rod bearing.

Called around and found that local rebuild prices were about the same as a Diesel Depot rebuild, and my neighbor could help me with installing a rebuilt 6.2.

Well------- the rebuilt long block arrived, bored .030, coated pistons, timing gears, 4911, 6.5 injectors, RV cam, all blueprinted and balanced. New pumps, hoses, belts, plugs... Very fair costs, considering shipping out here to rural America, and 4 bust ass days later (neighbor drank alot more than worked), she fired up on the 4th try.

Whoa!!! Wasn't ready for the smooooth rattle as we pulled up the slight grade and tooooook offfff.
AWESOME! Decided to get it into a mechanic with a meter to dial in the timing, so after about 20 miles on the motor I was driving it in to town, and heard OH NOOOOOOOO--- the same clicking I knew to be bottom end. I was suprised, it happened so fast. I pulled over, the ticking was loud. Jumped out and under the truck. REALLY loud. Shut it down and bam! the engine locked up. I heard it lock up and knew it.

SOO what now? Called Benny from Avant, and we decided to get a 3rd party involved. Local shop agreed to dx it. Pulled the pan and found a rod cap in it. It fell off. Wasn't torqued!! I was. Also, the valves were hitting the pistons by a few thousandths. Not good. Fortunately, the heads, valves and guides and entire upper end were unscathed.

Benny jumped on it. One week later the new shortblock arrived. New head gaskets .010 thicker. Benny paid $45 per hour for the reinstall (which left me $390 short, but that's what the warranty covered). Finally, a week later, (that's a month from order to final A-OK tuned up awesomely runnin' enjin) I got my Burbie back.

Would I do it again? Damn right. Everybody screws up sometime. Benny (Diesel Depot) honored his word and came through as fast a possible. He took care of his mistake, my truck is runnin great, and it's time to get on with life.

More Power
12-15-2004, 09:20
I had an "interesting" phone conversation yesterday with a 6.2/6.5 engine supplier (not a DP advertiser). He explained that all engine builders experience a certain number of callbacks. I agreed, but followed with my saying that it's the percentage of callbacks and how the builder handles them that defines a good engine supplier.

I'm glad things worked out for you.

MP

shamanie
12-15-2004, 13:16
Good to know. When s**t its the fan I know who to call.