PDA

View Full Version : Lights fluctuate/dim down at idle...

shamanie
02-10-2004, 18:22
When at idle, the lights will dim kind of. It goes with the slight shudder of the engine. Unfortunately, I can't really find the words to describe it any better than that. It really hadn't bothered me until I installed some new 3.5" dash speakers and they began to pop or distort (when turned up loud, not real, loud but you know) when that shudder happens.

NH2112
02-10-2004, 19:20
Sounds like a ground problem to me, check for missing ground straps or bad connections, and maybe make sure you don't have any shorts to the body in your new speaker wiring.

HowieE
02-11-2004, 18:55
The first thing I would check is the alternator output at idle. Test with a voltmeter at the battery while engine off, at idle, and then about 1000 rpm. Each should show an increase

dieselbegreat
02-12-2004, 03:02
I've had a couple alternators with shorted diodes inside that give low output, get very hot when running, make whining noises, etc. Also had a couple with loose internal regulators and loose BATT terminal that would flicker the lights, cycle on and off, overcharge the battery (one literally blew the caps off on a hot summer day sitting in traffic).