PDA

View Full Version : M1008 New Owner

Stage1
02-10-2004, 15:24
I just got my new M1008 home from up around Brainerd, MN. this past weekend. Long trip with snow most of the way back to Kentucky. The 03' GMC dually pulled the new toy home safely.
Initial inspection shows that the radiator is missing along with one battery. The truck looks clean and hope to try staring it up in a couple of weeks when my broken foot should be healed and I can walk around wo/two sticks!

Anthing special about the M1008 radiator? Can I use one that fits and connects the trans cooler.
Also what about the diesel fuel in the tank, should it be drained? The engine may have been last run about two years ago.

More questions later on a suspension lift/tires once it is running.

I think this is going to be a fun truck, also the wife really likes the camouflage paint. I think the blackout lights may be little lights in the bumpers? The two gun holders in the cab are cool too! Off to Dee Dee's Used Weapons and Ammo. Thanks for your help.

dieselcrawler
02-11-2004, 09:53
Nice... sounds like you're off to a good start for a fun project. I hope you have as much fun with your CUCV as I've had with mine.
I don't know for sure, but I'd say that any radiator from a 6.2L CUCV would work for sure, and would guess that any from a civilian p/u with the 6.2 would work. There may be a diffrence in the # of cores, but so long as stuff hooks up... and if it's cheap... might be worth the chance. A tip from a friend of mine, reguardless of the presence of the tranny cooler in the rad, don't use it, use a properly sized aftermarket cooler. Just what he told me one day when we were B.S.-in' one day...
As to lifting your truck, it's really simple. Leaf springs are out there by the dozen, the front ones from any Chevy truck '73 to '87 will work, but the rears are diffrent. The 5/4 ton CUCV's have the 56" long rear sping, and are more expensive. Let me know when you get to that point, and I'll fill you in on the mods I made to mind to use the 1/2 and 3/4 ton shorter spings.
Greg

Stage1
02-12-2004, 08:25
Greg,
Thanks for the information.

To see if it will start I am planning on connecting the coolent pump inlet and outlet. Do the the same to the trans lines, and only run the engine for a few seconds like this. Any suggestions for starting an engine that haS not been run for a year or two.
Plan to change the oil before I try to start it. Any thing special to prime the fuel??
ALso should I drain out the old fuel? and if so is their an easy way to do this?

I only have recent experience with a new diesel engine and none w/ old systems that have been stored for a while.

Will try to post pics in a while.