PDA

View Full Version : Problem Disengaging Transfer Case

MJEasly
03-06-2004, 14:34
I have a 99 K2500 Suburban with about 65,000 miles on it. It has the Auto-Trac transfer case.

I am not able to disengage from 4 low using ANY technique (i.e., from neutral, slowly rolling, slowly back and forth, etc...) The button will blink for a few seconds on my selection and then go out. 4low remains lit. I can not even engage neutral when I press both 4low and 2hi.

I had it in 4low in order to change the oil. At the end of my garage I have a large step right before the wall. The truck will not climb the step in 2hi or 4hi without a lot of throttle, which might put me through the wall if I don't get on the binders quick enough. In 4low, I just let it creep up the step and stop. I apply the parking brake, chock the wheels and proceed with the oil change. I have done this several times without any problems.

It's ironic, since I was thinking about swapping the fluid in the transfer case and replacing the rear seal, which is seeping a little bit. I ran out of time, so I tabled the project until next week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MJEasly
03-07-2004, 06:52
How about a stuck actuator? Is there any way to test for operation? Unfortunately my manual is a 94 and doesn't cover the Autotrac.

Fuses are ok
4x4 switch looks like it is operating properly

Going to check power to the actuator later today.

Could there be something physically binding in the t-case due to a low lube condition?

Thanks.