PDA

View Full Version : Delphi glowplugs / air cleaner questions

gmc64sub
12-10-2004, 20:10
Hello,
The local diesel shop installed these new glowplugs when I had them test the compression on my 6.2L engine while it was still in the donor truck. The plugs say Delphi DS-094 on them with a crosshatch pattern like this XXXXXXXXX stamped over the letters making it hard to read. Are these off brand plugs that will fail or OK to keep?

I'm nearing completion on my 64 GMC Suburban diesel conversion. I'm now figuring out my air cleaner situation. Most diesels seem to use a snorkel tube to get air from in front of the radiator, instead of around the engine like a gasser. Is there a important reason for this? I don't have much room for this.
Thanks, Richard

TimK
12-10-2004, 20:28
Richard,

I can't help you with the plugs.

On diesels without a turbo you can get a lot of noise out of the air intake. Since the diesel doesn't have a throttle plate like a gas engine, what you hear is all the intake pulses. A turbo goes a long way to attenuate this noise. It's not uncommon on a naturally asperated diesel to have some type of muffler in-line with the intake tube and to have the tube pointed outside of the engine compartment. This helps to cut back on noise from the engine compartment and to bring in the coolest air possible to the engine.

Since I installed a turbo on my truck I no longer need the air filter housing, K&N filter, the intake tube and intake muffler. If you need this, let me know.

TimK

gmc64sub
12-10-2004, 20:39
I already expect to do a bunch of sound proofing on the inside of my firewall with Dynomat. Do you think your intake would work on my 64? The batteries (one on each side) kind of block the location of the original truck's intake. That was a 1985 C-30 which had a huge engine compartment.

TimK
12-12-2004, 08:33
I don't know. Without seeing the truck and taking measurements, I would have no way of knowing. The air cleaner housing is about 16" in diameter and adds about 4" of height above the intake manifold flange.

TimK

gmc64sub
12-13-2004, 19:02
Hey TimK-

Is yours the stock air cleaner with a K&N or something else? I do have my stock air cleaner and intake tube assembly, but I don't think it will fit. I was thinking of just using the air cleaner without the intake tube to get this truck up and running, and see how loud it is.

Richard

TimK
12-14-2004, 07:12
Yes, It's the stock air cleaner with a K&N. The intake muffler is a seperate piece that connects with a hose. It's about 6" in diameter and about 10" long.

TimK