PDA

View Full Version : banks questions

BARRAZA
12-09-2004, 13:52
I have acquired the main pieces for my turbo install, and have some questions about the details, since I have never actually seen a banks system installed.

I will have to fab the crossover exhaust pipe. What do the mating surfaces look like and does it use a gasket? The banks manifold has a flat surface, is the pipe flange flat also? Is the crossover made in one piece or does it need an expansion joint?

How does the CDR install? Is it plumbed into the hole on the bottom of the air cleaner box?

What does the turbo to air cleaner hose look like?

Anyone have a banks install manual they dont need? I would buy it.

Craig M
12-09-2004, 15:48
Do not have a manual but have one vehicle with the Banks set up installed, and a loose unit I have not yet installed. Could get photos of either for you.

catmandoo
12-09-2004, 16:55
just what year are you working on,that would be a big help.the crossover on my 84 c10 ran out the drivers manifold then turned forward and ran between the oilpan and motormount,then turned under the crank and came up into the bottom of the right side(banks) manifold.aircleaner is rectanguler shaped and sets next to the battery and uses a big hose(90degree) into the turbo.

BARRAZA
12-09-2004, 17:52
Maybe I should have been clearer. I am putting the 6.2 from a cucv into a 72k10 4x4. I have a banks passenger side manifold, aircleaner box and element, air chamber that fits on top of the intake, and tube from turbo to intake. A 72 has a different crossmember than later models, so the crossover will probably be different. Using a holset hx35w from a 5.9 cummins. I still need the interconnecting hardware, ie oil feed and drain, ducting from the air cleaner to the turbo, and exhaust. My question was first, what does the crossover tube to manifold connection look like, ie does it use a gasket or donut, or is it metal to metal?

And second, is the turbo to air cleaner tube just a rubber hose?

Third, where does the CDR fit?

arveetek
12-09-2004, 19:09
Originally posted by BARRAZA:
...what does the crossover tube to manifold connection look like, ie does it use a gasket or donut, or is it metal to metal?

And second, is the turbo to air cleaner tube just a rubber hose?

Third, where does the CDR fit? The crossover pipe on the driver's side is flared to be bolted up just like the factory exhaust using an exhaust donut and the existing slip flange. The pipe is a two-piece unit, split near the front of the engine. You slide the existing flange over the pipe, then clamp the two pieces together.

The connection on the passenger side is flat, and bolts up flat to the bottom of the manifold. There's supposed to be a gasket, but I didn't use one. I just cleaned up the surfaces and used high-temp silicone. I didn't use any gaskets anywhwere, except for the donut. Gaskets just lead to exhaust leaks.

Yep, the turbo to air cleaner is just a rubber hose.

The CDR hose hooks to the bottom of the air cleaner box.

Casey

grape
12-09-2004, 19:53
use an electric lift pump and buy a blockoff plate for the stock pump and weld a bung to it for the oil return from the turbo......really needs to be larger than 1/2" like the banks, most guys use an AN10 which is 5/8 on gasoline applications.

arveetek
12-10-2004, 06:41
Originally posted by grape:
use an electric lift pump and buy a blockoff plate for the stock pump and weld a bung to it for the oil return from the turbo......really needs to be larger than 1/2" like the banks, most guys use an AN10 which is 5/8 on gasoline applications. Yep, that's what I did, although I went with 1/2" npt.

Casey

BARRAZA
12-10-2004, 12:51
A drain tube through the fuel pump mounting surface like banks has in the kit looks fairly easy to fab, why go to the electric pump? If it's a space issue I understand. I will have the engine out anyway, I will probably reseal the oil pan and add the drain directly to the pan.

Is the banks turbo inlet 3inches? My holset is 4 inches and I'm wondering if I should try to adapt to the banks air cleaner or just use a dodge cummins air cleaner and inlet hose.

arveetek
12-11-2004, 12:22
Yes, it's a tight space with the crossover pipe bolted to the Banks manifold, it's right in the way of the mechanical lift pump. It won't be a problem until you go to change the pump sometime down the road. Plus, the fuel lines at the pump have to be modified to make room for the crossover pipe. Putting a fitting in the pan is fine, too.

Yep, the Banks turbo has a 3" inlet, but I wouldn't use the Banks air filter setup though. It's not that great to start with. I'd go with some aftermarket setup, like an AFE intake, like Diesel Boy is doing. When I installed my turbo, I just used a length of 3" pipe and mounted a universal filter on the end of it, pointing out through the radiator support in the fresh air stream.

Casey