PDA

View Full Version : TH400 & 4L80E Torque Converter Compatibility

TimK
02-03-2004, 11:52
I am working on another suburban in my garage. This truck is a 1990 Sub with the 4L80e transmission. The transmission failed not to long ago so we got a GM replacement unit, torque converter and new wiring harness. The problem is I think the torque converter GM provided is bad. I have checked the fluid levels and the truck will move and it properly engages in all gears. However, it makes a sound similiar to something being stuck in a fan blade. I am suspecting the torque converter is bad. I disconnected the engine from the TC and the sound is definitely not from the engine.

So here's my problem. GM says that in order to cover the parts under warranty I have to drive or tow this to a GM dealer. I would prefer not to. I was wondering, I have a brand new TC in my 85 Sub with a TH400 (and dead engine). Will the 4L80E except the TC from a TH400? I thought I would ask the question before I went through all the labor of pulling out two transmissions. On paper it looks like it will work. They are both 32 splined and the TC shafts appear to have the same diameter. Both also have 6 pad mounts.

TimK

diesel65
02-03-2004, 13:18
The one difference that I know of is that the 400 TC does not have the lockup feature, if you were able to use that convertor in the 4L80E, you will burn up the transmission in overdrive.

TimK
02-04-2004, 07:12
Thank you. That is exactly the type of information I needed. That also explains why the 4L80E TC costs a lot more.

TimK